Monza and Scrambler interchange

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

tobydmv

Monza and Scrambler interchange

Postby tobydmv » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:14 pm

So the '63 monza 250 I dragged home is proving to be quite a challenge. The top tube is bent near the head tube. The fork tubes were badly bent. I think the bike was in a head on collision. I didnt notice the frame at first but when I went to remove the motor it was hard to pull out. When I levered the down tube over the engine came out. You can see the bend in the top tube now that its cleaned up and the tank is removed.

Last month I found a '67 scrambler dirt cheap with a good motor and jap forks on it that somehow fit the grimeca hub. It was going the bobber route(no fenders and junky seat pan). I thought I would swap the motor into the monza frame. Now i'm not sure since the monza frame is bent and the head angle is changed. Not sure which way to go now so I thought i'd bother you guys with the eternal question, what to do with 2 dukes, 1 good motor, 1 good frame.....

1. Can the monza frame be straightened? No clue where to find someone with a frame jig in Charlotte. Maybe a chopper shop?
2. I rebuilt the monza forks with new tubes and seals. Will they fit on the scrambler frame? The scrambler head tube looks longer to me but I havent mic'd it. The front wheel on the scrambler is 19", rear is 18". Monza is 18/18.
3. If the monza forks will fit the scrambler I imagine the 18" wheels will fit. Is the scrambler frame just a monza frame with a bolt on sump plate and an extra tube gusset for the seat mount?

I'm thinking of just running the scrambler as is and wait for a monza frame to turn up. SCR has a nice 27mm mikuni on and after cleaning the carb and rewiring the stator coils the damn thing run likes a swiss watch. I would like to find a scrambler tank though. It came with an early monza tank and I already have a good one of those. Anyone looking for an early monza round tank w fuel taps and no rust?

Thanks,
Toby

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Monza and Scrambler interchange

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:37 pm

[quote= tobydmv ...
" what to do with 2 dukes, 1 good motor, 1 good frame..... "

____ Isn't the "'67 scrambler" a wide-case, and are these two DUKEs in addition to your 1966 n-c.Scrambler ?

" Can the monza frame be straightened? "

____ Don't know, cuz I was never able to do so,, so I always junked frames with bent back-bones.

" Will they fit on the scrambler frame? "

____ Yes.

" If the monza forks will fit the scrambler I imagine the 18" wheels will fit. "

____ Also yes.

" Is the scrambler frame just a monza frame with a bolt on sump plate and an extra tube gusset for the seat mount? "

____ Aside from some other minor differences, basically pretty-much so.

" I'm thinking of just running the scrambler as is and wait for a monza frame to turn up. "

____ Why are you specifically interested in the Monza frame-version ?

" SCR has a nice 27mm mikuni on "

____ It'd be of interest to see a picture showing how it's particularly mounted to the cyl.head.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

tobydmv

Postby tobydmv » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:51 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ Isn't the "'67 scrambler" a wide-case, and are these two DUKEs in addition to your 1966 n-c.Scrambler ?

Bob, its a narrow case. Has the same case width as the early monza engine. Measured that the frame mounting points. I'm thinking its '67 based on the Ian Falloon book . I think he said they changed the rear wheel to 18" in 66/67.

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ Why are you specifically interested in the Monza frame-version ?

Well to be honest, I had the monza frame powder coated not knowing the top tube was bent. It wasnt until I had the scrambler frame for comparison that I noticed the slight bend in the top tube. I also made a friend when I bought it and he really wants to see it back on the road.

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ It'd be of interest to see a picture showing how it's particularly mounted to the cyl.head.

Coming up

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:39 pm

The monza frame can be straightened. In California there are at least two places I know of: Doctor Johns’ in Anaheim and The Frame Man in Sacramento. I imagine there are places back east. Syd’s Cycles in St. Petersburg FL might be able to suggest someone in the southeast. Since you already had the frame powder coated, it’s probably worth getting it straightened. Providing you’re able to find a replacement frame, it’s as likely as not that the replacement frame will have issues as well. If the bike took that big a hit, you should check if the triple clamp and fork crown are bent. Matt

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:51 pm

[quote= tobydmv ...
" I'm thinking its '67 based on the Ian Falloon book . I think he said they changed the rear wheel to 18" in 66/67. "

____ The 19" rear-wheel was dropped after 1965 when the Motocross-type 'Scrambler' was replaced with the true-scrambler of 1966 !
And the post-Motocross n-c.Scrambler was only made for just 1966, as the w-c.version replaced it in 1967 !
__ The Motocross-model was originally merely-just an off-road dirt-bike, but Berliner eventually had it's name-designation changed-over to 'Scrambler' so as to take advantage of the popularity of the Jap.bike marketing (which introduced that type of motorcycle), until Ducati could produce a model-version that was more-so designed in the particular spirit of a 'scrambler'.

____ I guess I'm now left to assume that you only have just the two DUKEs you've brought-up in this thread.

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”