Trick for even clutch pull?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

Trick for even clutch pull?

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm

After I reassembled my clutch after putting the Powerdynamo flywheel in, I noticed that the pressure plate was not releasing perfectly even. One side would come off the discs before the other. I swapped some of springs from side to side and it is a bit better.

Is there a trick to this other than just swapping springs until you get it right?
1970 450 SCR

wcorey

Re: Trick for even clutch pull?

Postby wcorey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 pm

You could also try rotating the plates around. Or play with spring pressure, one or two will likely do it. To increase spring pressure you could add another retainer washer or shim to the top or bottom of a spring. To decrease pressure add a smaller washer/shim that would sit inside the spring between the screw and tower nut. Or just grind down a spring...

On some of the brit bikes there is a 'T' nut on top and a stud from the bottom and the nut and retainer cups both have a detente for the spring that keeps it from spinning/backing out. This way they don't have to be bottomed out to stay on which allows for both tuning and overall pressure adjustment.

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Trick for even clutch pull?

Postby JimF » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:06 am

I had a clutch problem that may or may not be same as yours - the problem had a few symptoms:

1) With the engine off and the clutch cover off I could spin the rear wheel and see that the disc plates were slightly warped as they slowly walked closer and farther apart from each other.

2) Idling in nuetral the clutch lever would move in and out a little on its own very slowly. In gear with the clutch pulled in I could feel that the clutch lever friction point would wander in and out a bit.

3) Gear selection was difficult.

I got a piece of "plate" glass which is extrememly flat, a piece just slightly larger than the size of the clutch plate. A glass shop could probably cut one for you from a scrap for cheap.

I put each disc of the clutch pack individually on the plate glass and I was amazed at how many of the clutch plates were warped - this was a new clutch pack too. The warped plates would rock a little on the plate glass.

I then used plates from the new clutch pack and plates from the old clutch pack - putting together the flatest of plates from both sets.

This solved all my clutch and shifting problems. It was a night and day difference.

Jim

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”