Help with leg bars on 250GT

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

sebouh

Help with leg bars on 250GT

Postby sebouh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Hello all,

I picked up some banged up leg bars off of ebay. I massaged them back to new, but I dont understand the relationship between the bars, tank and headstock. Are the leg bar mounts on the outside of the tank mount wings? I just don't get it. I can bend the tank mounts out to accommodate. Can someone with leg bars post a picture?

Thanks
Sebouh

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Help with leg bars on 250GT

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm

[quote= sebouh ....
" I dont understand the relationship between the bars, tank and headstock. Are the leg bar mounts on the outside of the tank mount wings? Can someone with leg bars post a picture?

____ You should post a pic of what you got. _ So assuming you really got actual factory-stock crash/roll-bars, I'm left picturing that you may be trying to mount them too high & reversed-around upside-down or something. - (As their particular shape-design is set-up so as to keep the bike from falling all the way over flatly on the ground, rather than as obvious motor-case protection [like most such 'bash-bars' are mainly meant to do].)
__ I-myself have only ever owned just one Duke with the factory bars attached (back in 1970-71),, and-so as I (dimly) recall, they were mounted with their bottom bracket-mounts connected to the front motor-mount (with a 10~20mm longer bolt) and with their top bracket-mounts connected to the frame's forward-protruding double-layer plate that's welded onto the front down-tube (right underneath the neck of the steering-head). _ And I believe the upper bracket-mounts require a pair of 10~20mm frame-bracket 'spacers' and an 8mm.bolt that's long enough to fit-through the combined total width-length of the spacers & the steering-stop plate & bar-brackets, (probably 40~50mm in-all, and-so the single connecting-bolt ought be 50~60mm long).
__ That you're picturing the top brackets mounted to the fuel-tank's front mounting-points leads me to suspect that the bars you got aren't really actual factory items, and possibly then may require their actual-upper bracket-mounts to rather be connected directly to the down-tube itself (with U-bolts, [as I recall once seeing]).
__ I really don't recall what direction the mounting-brackets at the top-side (of the stock-Ducati bars) particularly orient towards,, but if more rearward than upward/forward, then they may rather be meant to aline with a dedicated hole in the frame-corner bracing-plate (between the down-tube & backbone) instead of the steering-stop plate. _ So if the hole in the s-s.plate doesn't work-out, then look to see if your GT has any suitable 8mm.hole in the frame bracing-plate that'll better line-up with the mounting-holes of the bar-brackets.
__ After someone posts any related picture, then your particular situation ought-to become rather firmly straightened-out, (if I haven't already helped-out well-enough).

Hopeful-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
(last-edited 15-hours later)
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”