250 Monza: vicious kickback

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: 250 Monza: vicious kickback

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 pm

[quote= cooperplace ...
" BUT it also occasionally gives random much weaker yellow sparks at other parts of the engine cycle. "

____ That's most-likely from when the ign.points close.

" I think this is the cause of the problem. "

____ If you find that the odd-spark is-not always occurring when the points close, then it's cause is probably related to a loose electrical connection somewhere.

" Could an internal coil fault cause this perhaps? "

____ Yes, if it just happens to have a somewhat loose internal connection-interruption, but I'd expect such to be more prevalent than you seem to experience,, and besides, such a possibility would be EXTREMELY rare.

" I would like to try it with another coil. The coil on it is completely anonymous, "

____ Then why-not try-out the original Ducati red-label ign.coil ?
__ If you find that coil becomes too warm after 10-minutes of operation, (and it works better for you),, then you could connect an ign.ballast-resistor in series with it to cut current-flow through the circuit after the resistor heats-up.
The use of such ign.resistors is a trick used to improve cold-starting ! _ It allows for a hotter spark (when the engine hasn't been recently running and the resistor is thusly cold), and yet protects the ign.coil from possible overheating.
____ Please let us know the results of any coil swap you try-out. _ And-also if you also try it along-with your Dyna-unit.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the as usual excellent advice. How would a universal 12V coil such as this Ebay cheapie, made by Emgo, work:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381017447177 ... 1438.l2649
thanks

Peter
be nice, I'm not very bright.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm

some googling shows that this coil is 1.5 ohm which will pull too much current thru the points, I think I need a 3-4 ohm coil.
be nice, I'm not very bright.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:42 pm

[quote= cooperplace ...
" How would a universal 12V coil
work: "

____ Sorry Peter,, I don't know for sure, but probably about as well as most any other.
__ The price of that coil isn't what I'd say is a 'cheapy',, and when ya also include the seller's shipping-charge, the total-cost is then quite unreasonable !
Don't you have any local auto-parts stores where you could get an ign.coil that's near just 10-bucks total ?
____ I'm left to assume that you don't have the stock Ducati ign.coil to try using ?

" this coil is 1.5 ohm which will pull too much current thru the points, I think I need a 3-4 ohm coil "

____ That 1.5-ohm amount of resistance does seem sort-of low for a 12v.system on a Duke,, but if you include a 2-ohm ign.ballast-resistor, then such a combo ought-to work-out fairly well.
__ Why-not just go-ahead & check-into what-all of such is available locally ?

____ I have another question, which I'll ask within your other more related thread.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”