Insight into gear shaft removal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Carnaggio

Insight into gear shaft removal

Postby Carnaggio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:32 pm

I discovered broken teeth on the 2nd gear 5 dog and therefore need to tap out the drive shaft to replace the gear.
Does anyone have any tips for my inexperience in this area? I assume I would need to heat the case, but not certain and would appreciate any suggestions.
Seems tricky and easy to damage if I screw it up. I have learned that much!
My best regards

Jordan

Re: Insight into gear shaft removal

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 am

Do you mean the shaft that carries the broken gear? That would be the gearbox input shaft I think.
As it's supported in ball bearings, heating the cases isn't going to help, unless you want the bearings to come out with the shaft (probably not).
It's been while since I last did this, and you are wise to research beforehand. I think the clutch needs to be removed first.
Suggest you study the parts diagrams, look for disassembly instructions, all the usual prudent measures before getting out the lump hammer.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:02 pm

If you’ve gotten to the point where you can identify the broken gear, I assume you have the cases split and the transmission is still in situ in the right side case. You should remove the two shift fork pins, then you can remove the shift forks and shift selector drum. Assuming you’ve already removed the countershaft sprocket, at this point you should be able to tap the output shaft out with soft hammer. The input shaft should come along with it. These two shafts are slip fits in the bearings and should simply slip out with a light tap, but fretting of the bearing inner race can make it a little more difficult. No need to heat the cases since you don’t want to remove the bearings unless necessary. Matt

Carnaggio

Postby Carnaggio » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks guys,
I do indeed have the cases split and all that remains in this half is the hollow shaft that the clutch rod fits through that has the gear that needs replacement. I assume I just find a pin that fits and tap it out and to replace, just repeat the process? It may be simple but I don't want to goof and tear up the case. Thank you for the help,
Richard

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”