250 Monza not charging

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

cooperplace

Re: 250 Monza not charging

Postby cooperplace » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:02 pm

I guess all that's needed is to attach the two alternator leads to any 2 terminal diagonally across from one another on the block, then use my meter to read off how to hook up to the other two?
be nice, I'm not very bright.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:22 pm

[quote= cooperplace ...
" If you have any thoughts on how to wire up the bridge-block, I'd be very grateful, "

____ No-need to be grateful Peter, as it's VERY simple !! ...
__ The preferred b.block should have a pair of AC.inputs located at opposed corners, to which you simply connect your Monza's pair of alt.stator wire-leads, (one lead to each AC.terminal).
Then the b.block's POSitive -(or '+') output-terminal gets connected to the same wire-circuit as the battery's pos.terminal-post. _ And that's basically all there is to it !
____ I have LOTS more I could add about this topic but, looks like it will have to wait until later for now.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:45 pm

____ When I opened this thread about an hour ago, THIS/new-post of yours wasn't yet then listed,, and I then spent a little time editing my earlier post (which was listed early this-morning), whilst apparently you coincidentally added your still newer post here on this/new-page.
So I've now quit adding to my previous-post above and have rather began responding to your latest post here. ...
cooperplace wrote:I guess all that's needed is to attach the two alternator leads to any 2 terminal diagonally across from one another on the block, then use my meter to read off how to hook up to the other two?
____ NO, as it's not really that simple ! ...
__ Back in the early days, most-all bridge-blocks provided only-ONE clue as to which of it's four terminals were which ! ... The only terminal which was (sort of) labeled, was the POSitive-post, which was only recognizable by it's rather somewhat un-obvious oddity of having it's nearby 90-degree corner cut-off/(rather flattened to a pair of 45-degree corners), so ya had to be trained to realize & recognize that the obscure clue indicated that that particular corner-terminal was supposed to be the positive-output and-thus that the opposite-corner must have to be the NEGative-output and-so therefore the other two remaining unidentified corner-terminals must have to be the AC.inputs ! _ Another similar tip-off clue (instead of the single blunted-corner on an otherwise perfect-block),, is that, of the b.block's four terminal-posts, only the positive-post will be out of similar alignment-order with the other three connection-posts' rather unified alignment-order.
However since at-least the '80s, most-all b.blocks have been rather well-labeled with up to all-four terminals quite clearly marked with very obvious label-markings. _ So you really shouldn't have to be concerned with making any connection-mistakes in regards to properly connecting-up a recently purchased bridge-block !

" how to hook up to the other two? "

____ Well, you don't have-to connect-up both of the "other two" terminal-posts (of the b.block), as the stock n-c.charging-system just makes-use of only the positive power-pulses of the alternator's AC.production (and intentionally ignores all the negative-pulses) ! _ So that thusly means that you (probably) won't be making any connection to the b.block's NEG.terminal (unless you wish to power something-else that'll have to be workable rather with a positive-ground system.)

____ Now back to finally getting-around to adding some of the related stuff I was considering including within my previous-post above...
__ A bridge-block offers some advantageous-benefits over the stock rectifier/regulator-unit, in that for one thing, a fair amount of extra alternator-power is allowed to become available ! ...
Ducati rated their old 4-spd.Monza's 4-pole alternator-model at 40-watts and their 6-pole alt.model at 60-watts,, of which, I've accepted were suitable 'ratings' and it made fairly logical sense that the 6-pole version made 50% more power, as it had 50% more magnets, (assuming them all to be of pretty-much the same magnetic-strength).
Whether Ducati's bulky and rather heavy regulator-unit's complex-circuitry actually allows all the alternator's available power to be useable, is quite doubtful however ! _ So the relatively-simple circuit-pathway (of the simple power-diodes) within the b.block certainly allows more of the available alt.power to rather be unsubdued and-thus more consumable by the actual load-system ! _ So with Ducati's impeding regulation-circuit taken off-line & out-of-the-way, it's then certainly reasonable to expect at-least around 10% more power available for the load-system.
__ And due-to Ducati's very unique dual-wound stator-windings (which MUST mutually interact beneficially with each-other [when both circuits are HALF-wave rectified]), the ingenious alternator-design is able to partially self-regulate, as the greater the load-system consumes power, the more power the alternator will then be enabled to produce !! ...
__ The stock Monza-type (USA.version) load-system employed a 35/30-watt sealed-beam, however I often replaced those with 45/40w.versions -(made for 6v.jeeps), which the stock charging-system managed just-fine with no notable downside ! _ So it's fairly expected that without the stock-regulator's impeding-interference, and with rather simple straight diode rectification (like a b.block provides),, a modern 65/45w.headlight could quite likely be kept satisfied (so long as engine [& mag.rotor-RPM] speed is kept sufficient) !

Enlightening-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Bob,

It works! I wired it exactly as you said, and it charges just fine. At idle it's about 12.35v, and with revs it goes to about 15v.

V pleased. Thank you very much for your excellent advice,

cheers

Peter.

DewCatTea-Bob

250 Monza charging

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:51 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" It works! "

____ How about telling us where you got your bridge-block, what it's rating-specs are, and how much it cost ?

" I wired it exactly as you said, and it charges just fine. "

____ Then that means I was right, (as I expected), that your alt.stator wire-lead's remaining crumby-insulation is still doing it's job of keeping the bare-wires apart so that they're not short-circuiting !
And also, this confirms that the Jap.regulator was not meant to work with the grounded alt.stator-circuit, (as I expected) !

" At idle it's about 12.35v, "

____ Was that v.reading taken from between the b.block's POS.output & ground, or ground & the battery's POS.terminal-post ?

" with revs it goes to about 15v. "

____ This v.reading must've been taken with the battery on-line, cuz otherwise the voltage-output of the b.block alone would be much higher than just "15v", (assuming revs above 3-grand).
This demonstrates the battery's tendency to regulate the system-voltage,, but that it's voltage-level reached as high as 15-volts, indicates that the system was-not balanced when you took that v.reading. _ So you should try that high-rev test again with the main-lights turned-on.
__ If you ride much with the lights turned-off, then the battery's ability to keep system-voltage below 15-volts will be overtaxed and-thus the battery's life will suffer !
So you need to keep the system rather balanced either by keeping the lights turned-on, or by connecting-up an On/Off-switch between the b.block and one of the alt.stator wire-leads, so that about 2/3rds of the alternator's producible power can then be taken off-line for when the lights are off, (which will help keep the system balanced [mainly for the battery's sake] ).
There are several methods for taking partial alt.power off-line. _ Please ask about that, if interested.

" Thank you very much for your excellent advice, "

____ And thank-you for paying-attention (and not jumping-the-gun onward-ahead, bypassing logical-steps).

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Bob,

I got it from Jaycar, in Australia:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZR1324
where it cost AU$4.95 and it's rated at 35A, 400V.
The voltage readings are taken between earth and battery positive, with lights off. I will take a high reading again with the lights on.

By the way, the headlight has a 25W globe in it, and some web searching shows it to be a H6M base. On Ebay I've ordered an Osram 35W H6M, which will help use up that spare alternator capacity. I will ride with the lights on.

Thanks again for your very comprehensive and helpful advice, which is much appreciated.
Peter.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:08 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" it cost AU$4.95 and it's rated at 35A, 400V. "

____ That's a little higher in price but also rated much stronger (than more common versions) !
Since it's rated for over 6-amps, it shouldn't need to be heat-sunk to a metal-mount.

" The voltage readings are taken between earth and battery positive, "

____ Then that means your reading taken at idle was basically measuring the battery's voltage.

" The voltage readings are taken
with lights off. "

____ Then that's why the system-voltage reached so high as "15" volts, as the system was then mis-balanced and the (insufficiently sized) battery's ability to absorb such excess power thusly allowed system-voltage to climb higher than ought be allowed.

" I will take a high reading again with the lights on. "

____ Then much more of the alternator's produced power will be consumed, so that there's then a lot less leftover (if any) for the battery to have-to absorb,, and therefore the system-voltage should be rather slightly higher than that of the battery-itself.
__ To determine what's-what when you run that next test, first check the battery's stagnant-voltage just prior to running the engine. - (Note that I said "engine" and not 'bike', as I don't think it would be too safe for ya to be running your Duke down the road whilst trying to read your v.meter !- [Hopefully this attempt at humor will get a chuckle to help cancel the anger of the one fellow who I know will get unduly irate about it !] )

" the headlight has a 25W globe in it,
I've ordered an Osram 35W H6M, which will help use up that spare alternator capacity. "

____ The extra 10-watts of power-consumption will quite likely more than cancel the gained difference in charging-system output (between the stock regulator-circuitry and the slightly-increased amount from the rather un-complex b.block's pair of power-diodes).
But since the stock-system can easily handle the 35w.light-bulb/globe, you could've rather ordered a 45w.version, (unless you intend mostly under 3500-RPM riding) !

" I will ride with the lights on. "

____ Doing so will better keep your power & load systems rather balanced, so that the battery will then easily handle any remaining differences !
__ The only downside (of running with lights on) of-course is slightly reduced fuel-millage.

" Thanks again for your very comprehensive and helpful advice, "

____ Of-course you're welcome Peter ! _ And that you find my extensively-detailed chosen wording to be "comprehensive", indicates that YOU, (in these-days of 'chat' wording), are at-least fairly capable of still comprehending sentence-meaning with more than just a half-dozen contained words !

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm wondering if the bridge block could be improved upon. In a short ride around the block, before the wheel bearing collapsed, it blew an indicator bulb. I can't recall if the headlight was on. So I could in future always be sure to have the headlight on. Or I could fit a 65W headlight bulb: I think there's one on Ebay.

But there are also these $6 12v 4-pin motorcycle regulator/rectifiers on Ebay, eg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Voltage- ... 3cdebc5e64

has anyone tried such a thin on a 250?

DewCatTea-Bob

250 Monza possibly over-charging

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:00 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" I'm wondering if the bridge block could be improved upon.
In a short ride around the block, it blew an indicator bulb. "

____ Well, it could certainly be fair to blame that component of your system if you happened to be riding at high-RPMs and the battery wasn't on-line at the time when the light blew. _ But assuming that the battery was connected & performing it's expected functions,, then it's rather likely that vibration is what actually broke the light's filament, as that's rather a fairly common occurrence.

" I can't recall if the headlight was on. "

____ What "indicator bulb" do you have wired-up so that it could still possibly be powered-up while the headlight is-not turned-on ??

" So I could in future always be sure to have the headlight on. "

____ By having the headlight turned-on, any leftover excess alt.power-production will then be much reduced and-thus accordingly easier for the battery to absorb & curtail -(by conversion-regulation), depending on the battery's size.
__ What size is your battery (amp-hour wise) ?
If your battery is too small, and the headlight was off during high engine-revs,, then such circumstance would result with raised system-voltage and-so could indeed allow other lights to blow-out. _ Because smaller batteries have lesser ability to absorb & convert excess-power down-to the battery's own voltage-level range, (thus leaving system-voltage too high for any small loads to cope with).

" I could fit a 65W headlight bulb: "

____ With Ducati's unique alt.stator-winding and 'dual half-wave' rectification, it could be possible to fully power such a high wattage-load,, but rather high engine/alt.rotor-RPMs would have-to be maintained significantly above the normally expected 'average-RPM' (of regular riding).
__ There's a rather unique headlight-bulb (made by Sylvania) that's especially intended just for motorcycles, which has a more appropriate 65/45w.rating that would be more suitable,, but it's 65w.high-beam couldn't be left on for too long without also keeping engine-revs well above average (so the battery doesn't run-down). _ Unfortunately though, it's H4-type socket isn't a straightforward installation-fit into the stock headlight fittings. _ So you probably won't find a suitable headlight-bulb that's stronger than 45-watts.

" there are also these $6 12v 4-pin motorcycle regulator/rectifiers on Ebay, "

____ That's certainly bargain-priced for such an item ! _ But, while there's much good-quality products to be had from China, they unfortunately don't have a quality-control rating that could tip-off their good-stuff from the overwhelming worthless-junk that gets offered for sale hidden along-with. _ So ya always take a significant risk-chance whenever buying most-anything shipped from over-there.
__ Anyhow, it's fairly questionable whether those units really do include an actual regulator-circuit ! _ And even if they did, it would only be intended just for ungrounded-type alt.stators (which are expected to be full-wave rectified),, and-so would leave you in the same-boat as you were before (with the other std.type Jap.unit that you had connected-up previously) !

" has anyone tried such a thin on a 250? "

____ Now you're thinking like the common-majority of whom only assume that a regulator needs to be included (rather than any lesser known-of, more logical means of power-control). ...
__ Their mentality is to produce gobs of excessive power and-then try & attempt to reign-it-down & keep it under control. _ Whereas Ducati & I instead prefer to keep the power-production & power-consumption rather 'balanced'.
So whenever the main-lights are-not turned-on,, then it's logically better to rather cut-off an appropriate amount of charging-power, (which is at-least as easily done as the installation of any regulator-circuit), just as many Jap.bikes used-to logically do as well !
__ Other (mere fairly-knowledgeable) members here, have indeed tried such full-wave rectifiers connected-up to n-c.250-Monza alternators after UNgrounding them first, whilst under the mistaken-impression that Ducati's grounded stator-leads are as of same as that of an ordinary std.center-tap arrangement, of which, they're actually NOT !

" I'm wondering if the bridge block could be improved upon. "

____ As I've previously mentioned,, it's power-output could be easily cut (by over 50%), by simply disconnecting one of the alt.stator-leads (connected to it's AC.inputs) !
I always used-to do that with an ordinary On/Off toggle-switch (most-often mounted on the back/top of the headlamp), and that-way I then enjoyed a rider-choice of whether the battery receives charging-juice at either a slow or fast rate.
Jap.bikes however would rather have their light-switches be actually '2-in-1 switches' with the extra switch-circuit allowing their additional alt.power to only become available along-with the activation of the main-lights, (thus simplifying the matter [for the mass-simpletons who the Jap.marketing smartly wished to appeal to]!).
Besides either of those two switching-methods (to help control charging-power),, a simple relay-circuit could be used to switch the secondary/back-up alt.power to the bridge-block's input, so that whenever the main-lights are turned-on, the extra charging-power would then also go on-line.
__ I suggest that you choose one of these switching-methods, especially if you intend to often ride at high-RPMs with lights turned-off.
Or if it's rather the case that your chosen battery is actually too small (to well handle all it's tasks),, then you could rather choose to add a 14-volt Zener-diode circuit, to help the battery hold-down the system-voltage (from climbing too high during high-RPM riding).
__ Please let me know which power-controlling circuit you'd prefer to install, and I'll then offer you related instructions.

Duke-Cheers,
DCT-Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:32 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks as always for the very informative reply. I like the idea of the Zener diode. Do you have any specific recommendations in that area?
thanks
Peter

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”