Parts for 66' scrambler

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Lighting-coil Connection-arrangement Concerns

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:37 pm

[quote= djstedman ...
" I quoted both emails in this response "

____ Of-course you really mean 'posts', (not "emails" [or PMs]).

" Yes, this connection is correct, but not necessary, and is misleading due to the lack of detail in the alternator depiction. Both coils are isolated electrically from any ground potential "

____ Well-then how can that ground/GND.symbol be electrically "correct" in ANY way ? _ What circuit could there possibly be left to be grounded within the alternator-symbol, if both power-coils are indeed 'floating' and "isolated" ?

it's possible that that lighting-coil was once mistakenly used to power the mag.ignition-system and-so possibly resulted with that power-coil's insulation-coating having become somewhat burnt & weakened
" the numbers show that the lighting coil was shorting somewhere inside the windings.
it is obvious that it can't be fixed short of rewinding the coil.
"

____ So then does that power-coil's wire-coating look very brown & possibly burnt dark ?
(All the lighting-coils I've ever found with reduced resistance-values, were burnt to at-least a dark-brown [if not near black] !)

" As for why the Red-white came out that way, I am not sure,
maybe if it was isolated from ground it would have been the series sum of the two
"

____ It seems that either you overlooked my related explanation or didn't grasp it's indicated point (as I expected the likes of Hans to grasp). ...
__ My posted pair of drawings depicting the power-coil's possible ground-connections, display the two possibilities of how the ground-connection might actually be. ...
The left-side version reflects the coil-connections as you've drawn them within your posted drawing, while the right-side version is the only-one which supports the related ohmic value figures (as listed next to your drawing).
In the left-side version, it's obvious that an ohm-meter connected to the red and white wires must read the resistance-valve of the entire coil-winding, (as-if the "series sum"),, however in the right-side version, it's obvious that an ohm-meter connected between the red & white would only measure just the longer-length (of the entire coil-winding) !
So providing that the related ohmic-figures are all correct, they then must indicate that the only possible deduction is that the connection-arrangement indicated within the right-side depiction, is the only correct arrangement that collaborates with the stated ohm-figures ! _ So in like-kind, the found ohmic-values allow for only the one deduction which indicates that the right-side connection-arrangement must be the CORRECT-one !
__ And that's the bottom-line on this matter.
I've now included labeling on the pair of coil connection-arrangement depictions, which now ought-to make my intended point more apparent.

Enlightening-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ducwiz

Re: Parts for 66' scrambler

Postby ducwiz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:11 pm

In an older thread http://www.motoscrubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1775#p13025 I described an inexpensive method how to measure electrical resistance in the milli-Ohm range: A current of precisely 1 amp produces a voltage drop flowing through the resistive component under test. In turn, you read the resistance value in millivolt by attaching your DMM set to the DC milliVolt range.

Hans

p.s. @Bob: Thanks for your informations. I'll address the unidentified stator (CEV?) again later ...

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Parts for 66' scrambler

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 pm

[quote= ducwiz ...
" I'll address the unidentified stator (CEV?) again later "

____ I had before thought of mentioning (but forgot to include the thought), that that particular section of your previous-post deserved it's very-own thread !
So you may prefer the consideration of actually creating another thread just for that topic.

Considerent-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”