Adding headlight and tail light - best way

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Magneto-type Ign.circuit Scheming

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:30 pm

[quote= STEVENM63 ...
" It appears that whoever wired the bike this way must have done so because of this condition. "

____ Indeed so, as I believe many others have also wired-up the lighting-coil for easiest kick-staring. - (Which is why I've come-across so many heat-darkened lighting power-coils.)

" Do I need to dig into the ign.coil? "

____ Since you still haven't indicated whether the ign.coil is the stock 'green-labeled' version or otherwise, I'm still left to continue-on ASSUMING that it's the stock ign.coil. _ But otherwise, I'd next suspect that you may have an ign.coil installed that's made to rather work either with a battery-powered type of ign.system or some-odd power-coil which has less impedance (than Ducati's ign.power-coil). ...
Cuz if you actually have a strange ign.coil which has a primary-impedance that's not closely matched to Ducati's ign.power-coil's impedance, then it's impossible for 100% of the available generated-power (from the ign.power-coil) to be fully transferred into your odd* ignition-coil (* if it's not Ducati's 'green-label' version).

" So based on these findings what would you suggest? "

____ Not to get too concerned, as there's still plenty of possible options for you to choose from !
__ My next thoughts are that since someone has (possibly purposely) changed the wire-colors (of the alt.stator wire-leads), then they might've (rather logically) also done something-else as well. ...
It could-be that while the alt.stator & mag.rotor were apart (for installation of the three new wire-leads), the alt.stator power-coils were then possibly custom-modified in some unknown way (making sense with the altered wire-colors),, or more likely, the mag.rotor wasn't reinstalled in correct/optimum 'time' with the ign.timing. _ And if the rotor is slightly out-of-time (on the crankshaft), then that could possibly explain why the ignition-power is found to be insufficient (with the lower current-mustering ign.power-coil).
But since you still haven't yet answered whether the 'spark' looks equally well or not (with either power-coil), it's harder to deduce what the case may be, and I therefore just have-to assume that the ign.spark is indeed obviously weaker with the ign.power-coil (vs. the lighting power-coil).
____ Anyhow,, the mystery of what's actually going-on with the (supposed) factory-intended ign.circuit, could seemingly be left unsolved, and you could rather go-ahead & adopt an electrical-system scheme which allows you to continue using the lighting power-coil for powering the ign.system and yet also spare it from overheating (via the ign.circuit's 'short-circuit'), by splitting-off the half-portion of the AC.power that's not required by the ign.system ! - (The employed-method for which has already been recently covered within a related thread [that concerns the use of a bridge-block to split-up & distribute the pos & neg AC.power-pulses], found at this link - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1781&start=10#p13533 .)
__ This alternative wiring-setup would mean rather using the ign.power-coil to charge a 12v.battery and use rather lower power-consuming (& less current-hungry) main-lighting, since the (stronger current mustering) lighting-coil would no-longer have enough power left-over to also run any lights (which consume more power than would just a mere taillight can).
It would also mean that in order to full-wave rectify the grounded ign.power-coil, (without modification to the alt.stator's connections), you'd then have-to keep the battery and it's load-system 'floating' above the std.ground-system, (which is-not so much of a problem as one might first assume, and really isn't too difficult to actually accomplish !).

____ Let me know what you think at this point, and we'll then continue-onward from there.
____ I've still-further tidied-up your pic.diagram-scheme, and posted it on this page for easy reference.
You could download it (to your Windows-PC) and-then right-click on it & use the listed 'edit' feature (as I've done) to make (rather neat) changes, as you see fit.

Duke-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
(now 'DCT'-ized 24-hours later)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”