New to the Ducati World

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Rickytic

New to the Ducati World

Postby Rickytic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:33 pm

This is my first post on this forum. I am a new member and have just purchased a 1966 250 Scrambler. I have a background in restoring vintage motorcycles and cars. I guess the first thing I need is some information on Ducati vendors that might be able to supply parts for this project. The plan is to bring her back to her original position in life. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rickytic

JimF
Site Admin

Re: New to the Ducati World

Postby JimF » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Welcome!

Just like you have surely seen with your other restoration brands, there are:

a) Used parts

b) NOS parts (very rare and pricey)

c) 'pattern parts' that come close but sometimes fall short in details, proper fit, finish or all three.

d) High quality reproductions parts that look and fit perfectly.

Often I will see parts listed on eBay claiming to be for a rarer model when clearly they are not. Sometimes I see reproductions being tendered as NOS when clearly they are not.

Ducatis seem to be an expensive bike to restore as parts are generally quite expensive. The rewards are a bike that is inherently worth more when restored than most other brands (save for Vincents, Broughs and the like) and even more importantly to me a bike that is ten times more fun to ride than most other bikes.

Ducati singles are light, nimble, have a great power-to-weight ratio.

You are always welcome to post to the forum for help in finding a particular part .

Some excellent vendors subscribe to this forum. We are a non-commercial forum, but when people ask after parts the vendors are welcome to make their businesses known.

Jim

Rickytic

Re: New to the Ducati World

Postby Rickytic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:14 am

Thanks Jim,

The Honda Scrambler restoration was the same. I know it will take a while to learn the OEM parts from the repops. I found a few parts that are missing on the DUC but will wait until I get my summer camping trip over with before I start my learning process and digging into the dirt and dust. I had great success with the Honda forum and figured there is a lot of knowledge out there that I might be able to tap into.

Thanks again.

Rickytic

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”