high low beam wiring color code

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Medoro

high low beam wiring color code

Postby Medoro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 pm

I have a 1966 Monza 250. I think it was a non USA model that a previous owner converted to a sealed beam unit quite poorly.
I went back to a bulb and socket assembly.
My wires are Green and Yellow.
Can anyone please tell me which are for high and low beam and to what side of the bulb socket they attach looking at the rear of the socket?
I have an Aprilia socket marked 56A / 56B for headlight post.
Thank You

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: high low beam wiring color code

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:00 pm

[quote= Medoro ...
" I have a 1966 Monza 250. I think it was a non USA model that a previous owner converted to a sealed beam unit quite poorly. "

____ If your '66 250-Monza was originally sold in the U.S., then it's most likely that the headlight was a sealed-beam unit which came along-with it's particular headlamp-rim.
And since the lamp-shell's original chromed trim-rim gets pretty-rusty, the P.O. must've acquired a nicer replacement-rim which was-not the Made-for-USA type.

" I went back to a bulb and socket assembly. "

____ Which means you must've also got a reflector-dish (to hold the socket) and a glass-lens as well.

" My wires are Green and Yellow. "

____ Those are the stock wire-colors for a 250-Monza's Hi/Lo-beam circuits, however I can't recall which is which. _ Hopefully someone with a STOCK Monza/Sebring/Mach-I can tell which light-filament/terminal the Green (or Yellow) wire connects to.
However what's more important is YOUR preference for which switch/lever-position activates/deactivates the high-beam. _ And-so you should connect-up the two Hi/Lo wire-leads accordingly.

" which are for high and low beam
and to what side of the bulb socket they attach looking at the rear of the socket? "

____ You may still have a clue, by checking which Hi/Lo-circuit the high-beam indicator-lamp connects to.

" I have an Aprilia socket marked 56A / 56B for headlight post. "

____ I don't recall for-sure but, doesn't that socket include an extra terminal-post for connecting the wire of the high-beam indicator-lamp ? _ If so, then that would obviously be on the same side as for the headlight-bulb's high-beam filament-terminal !
__ If still questionable, then how-about posting a pic showing the related parts you have in question.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Rick

Re: high low beam wiring color code

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 pm

The numbers on your socket are from the 'DIN 72 552 Standard', 56a is headlight high beam and 56b is headlight low beam.
My Aprilia sockets don't have the DIN labels, so I don't know if the layout is the same as yours, but mine layout on a clock face like this:
3:00, hour hand = ground, DIN 31
5:25, minute hand = low beam, green wire, DIN 56b
5:35, minute hand = high beam, yellow wire, DIN 56a
9:00, hour hand = parking light, DIN 57
Rick

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”