Strange single!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

PhilA

Strange single!

Postby PhilA » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:14 am

Anyone know anything about this machine?

The present owner, Marcelo Doffo, bought it from a guy in LA in the recent past (a year or two I think). He in turn imported it from Europe/UK and had it stored for over 25 years. It has what appears to be either a Seeley frame or a copy thereof. Interestingly it has a Ducati 250 SC motor (abet rather drastically "worked on") #34. It is still in its original condition from when it was imported into the US.

Excuse the unprocessed images please!

www.philaphoto.com/images/PA-VadimDucati-01.jpg

www.philaphoto.com/images/PA-VadimDucati-02.jpg

Phil

Rick

Re: Strange single!

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:28 pm

I doubt if it's a Seeley frame, also doubt if it was designed and built for a Ducati engine.
Seeley frames would probably have the motor mounts and swingarm mount boxed in, not single sheets of plate, and the rear axle/chain adjusters don't look right- very little travel and sort of awkward looking.
To me, it looks like someone put the Ducati engine into a frame designed for another engine. The oil filter/drain plug appears to be inaccessible behind the frame cradle tube, the motor mounts look clumsy- the whole frame just doesn't look like the careful workmanship and design I associate with Seeley and other British frame builders- the tank and seat are definitely not up to the standard of British panel beaters.
This website has pictures of what they're calling a Seeley frame- I don't know if it really is a Seeley, but it has the design and workmanship I'd expect:
http://www.motorrad-fuchs.com/en/single ... _250.html#
It's a great engine.
Rick

Nick

Re: Strange single!

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:27 am

Bitchen!
Put a Mikuni on it!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”