Mach 1 Stop Light & Horn Fuse

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Octane

Mach 1 Stop Light & Horn Fuse

Postby Octane » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:04 am

Just a quick one... I'm at work and thought I'd throw this question out there to save me some troubleshooting when I get a chance to look at the bike later.

I'm preparing the Mach 1 for the MotoGiro Australia next week. I'll cover around 4000kms in 12 days.

The brake light and horn aren't working though. I suspect it's only a blown fuse as there's no 6v getting to either the horn or the brake switch.

Does anyone know which fuse is for the horn/brake? Is it in the headlight shell or somewhere else?

While I have the headlight shell open, some of the screws which hold the main fuse board have vibrated loose and fallen out (which I think could have caused a fuse to blow out) Does anyone know what size screws hold the circuit/fuse blocks into the shell? I'm hoping they're M3 which I can grab from work.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Mach 1 Stop Light & Horn Fuse

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 pm

[quote= Octane ...
" Is it in the headlight shell or somewhere else? "

____ All three stock fuses are located within the headlamp !
__ Your Mach-I electrical-system ought-to be the same as that of a stock 250-Monza, so you can go-by it's schematic-diagram to see what's-what in such regard.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Moto Chuck

Postby Moto Chuck » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Here is the wiring diagram for your bike. You are looking for item #14 and it should be in the headlight bucket like Bob said.
http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr42/Ventodue/Ducati/250wiringdiagram_zps87bb6bad.jpg~original

DewCatTea-Bob

CORRECTED Monza-type Wiring-diagram

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:43 pm

[quote= Moto Chuck ...
" Here is the wiring diagram for your bike. "

____ That link takes ya to a copy of a diagram that's WRONG ! _ Everyone needs to stop copying THAT version ! ...
It indicates that the battery gets connected (through the ign.switch) to the ign.coil... That short-cut circuit causes the current-regulator to-be tricked (as if the load-system requires less power than it's actually consuming), and-so the battery then doesn't receive enough charging-juice and-thus becomes discharged !
Anyone who has ever wired-up their n-c.Monza/Sebring that way, has found that the battery/charging-system lets the lights go dim and the engine stall, after about an hour's ride !
__ I don't know where that INCORRECT-diagram originally came from,
but I've posted a correct-version without the mistake, below.

Enlightening-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Moto Chuck

Re: CORRECTED Monza-type Wiring-diagram

Postby Moto Chuck » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:14 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= Moto Chuck ...
" Here is the wiring diagram for your bike. "

____ That link takes ya to a copy of a diagram that's WRONG ! _ Everyone needs to stop copying THAT version ! ...
It indicates that the battery gets connected (through the ign.switch) to the ign.coil... That short-cut circuit causes the current-regulator to-be tricked (as if the load-system requires less power than it's actually consuming), and-so the battery then doesn't receive enough charging-juice and-thus becomes discharged !
Anyone who has ever wired-up their n-c.Monza/Sebring that way, has found that the battery/charging-system lets the lights go dim and the engine stall, after about an hour's ride !
__ I don't know where that INCORRECT-diagram originally came from,
but I've posted a correct-version without the mistake, below.

Enlightening-Cheers,
-Bob

Sorry,
The fuse Octane needs is still between the switch and the junction block on both schematics and listed as #14 on both. I will make note of the correct diagram.

Chuck

Octane

Postby Octane » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Thank you gentleman for the replies.

I had some time to look at this (finally) before work this afternoon. As I suspected, the issue was a short in the wiring/fuse circuit for the horn/brake light inside the headlight shell. The fuse itself was fine, but I removed and re-seated it anyways, and gave some of the wiring a bit of a jiggle and the issue went away. I think it was just a bad connection at the fuse or a short caused by the 2 distro bocks being loose in the shell. Either way, it's fixed now :-)

Thanks again for the advice and schematics. :mrgreen:

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”