which oil to use in 250?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

cooperplace

which oil to use in 250?

Postby cooperplace » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but the search facility doesn't like "oil". What recommendations do people have for engine oil in a 250?

Thank you everyone.
be nice, I'm not very bright.

Bevel bob

Re: which oil to use in 250?

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Depends whats availiable,and your price range, I use Silcolene Chatsworth 40 monograde with a low detergent and additives that protect the cam and not too slippy for the clutch. I use the same in my 860 GTS and drain both at low milages. I let the oil stand for a few months then re-use it in my old Norton !, I only use the clear oil and tip away dark sludgy stuff.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:57 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but the search facility doesn't like "oil". "

____ You are RIGHT ! _ And as the status-quo is left standing here at our w.site,, you most probably won't be the last to create yet another thread on this very-SAME commonly asked question, (since our web-site's stupid search-function will currently find 100-pages [with 10-posts each] containing EITHER 'motor' or 'oil' mentioned & highlighted when ya search 'motor-oil' !).
__ Too-bad that Jim didn't care much to allow permanent construction of the tree-structured "Linked*thread-directory" search-method alternative, which I had wanted to finish constructing (back before my internet-connection became so very unreliable as it has since become) for ALL to be able to access !
Cuz with the simple use of such a branched-listing, you then could've easily found at-least the five related thread-links which I've listed below !! ...
* viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1739&p=12736&hilit=oil#p12736

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=247&p=1520&p1520
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=597&p=3935&#p3935
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1189&p=8098#p8098
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=907&p=6195&#p6195

" What recommendations do people have for engine oil in a 250? "

____ Pretty-much the same motor-oil as for any other non-plain-bearing supported engine...
It ought-to be realized that the main reason for why straight-40w oil is preferred within our ball/roller-bearing supported motors, is because it's desired ability to absorb & disperse heat is somewhat rather-more important for ball/roller-bearings than it's particular lubrication qualities.

Enlightening-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks for that. After reading through all those opinions, it seems it doesn't matter what oil I run.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" it seems it doesn't matter what oil I run. "

____ Well actually, you really should've rather concluded that your OHC.Duke-motor ought-to run with most-any '40w ' MOTOR-oil !

____ Did you also learn how much oil your n-c.250 sump-volume should be filled-up with ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 am

Excellent, thank you. I will use a good quality 40w oil. Re the amount, I plan to drain it as well as I can, then put in about 2 litres, then keep adding it until it's full according to the dipstick. The manual says 2.4 litres. I'm delighted to head any relevant advice.

Thanks.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:57 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" I plan to drain it as well as I can, "

____ The best ya can do,, is to drain the old oil while HOT, with your Duke leaning on it's side-stand. _ But when it seems to be all-done running-out, you're then not even half-way done with the work of getting all the oil drained-out ! ...
__ There's quite possibly no-one else in the world who has changed more oil in OHC.Duke-motors than myself, during the two decades between 1969 & 1991. _ So I really know what needs to be done in order to get most-all of the old oil drained-out during an oil-change !
So after you've done the above initial draining (as most-all of everyone-else would merely do),, then-next (while the motor is still hot), let the bike/motor stand level & upright (as on center-stand), and let sit for 2 or 3 minutes, then lean-over on side-stand again and allow the accumulated/settled oil to drain-out until it merely drips-out.
Then-next, let the bike/motor lean-over towards it's right-side, (either with right handlebar-grip rested-against a wall, or-else rest frame onto a suitable length of 2by4 wood-block placed under the passenger foot-peg boss), and let lean that-way for about 5-minutes. _ Then stand upright again for 1 or 2 minutes, then once-again rested on side-stand and let additionally-accumulated oil drain-out at-least until it merely drips-out somewhat slowly.
These two above extra draining-steps combined, will round-up about a half-quart more of hot-ish oil ! _ (And is sufficient draining-work for a motor that ya don't much care about.)
__ For motors that you do much CARE about,, then while it's still warm, let the motor lean-over to the right again and leave that-way for 10 to 15 minutes, then stand-up/level for about 5-minutes, then back onto the side-stand once-more and let oil drain until it's all-done dripping (perhaps left to do-so over-night).
This extra-extra draining-step will likely scrounge-up & drain another 2 to 4oz of warm oil !
And for w-c.motors, repeating of this last elaborate draining-step still-again once-more, will drain at-least another 2oz !
For either n-c or w-c motors (of my-own), I-myself always do this extra procedure still another EXTRA-extra time, just to merely drain-out a few more drips (which usually amounts to nearly 1-oz [of cooled-off oil]) !
__ ALSO, each time the draining flow has diminished to just a dripping rate (while left on side-stand), I then stick my finger into the drain-opening and feel-around the motor-case floor for grit & whatever-else I can get removed-out from within there with my finger (or a magnet-stick) ! - (Sometimes, ya can really find worthwhile junk [which couldn't get pushed-out through the drain-hole along-with the flowing oil], that ya sure wouldn't want to leave left inside there !)
__ And-also, it's always a good-idea to drain into an empty pan and later measure the drained oil's volume, so as to help determine if your motor burns oil or if it's been contaminated with fuel.

" The manual says 2.4 litres. "

____ And that amount will easily fit (in a n-c.motor *), if you're fully successful at draining-out ALL of the old-oil !
So that's 2 & 2/3rds QUARTS of oil, which means that you should be able to fit 2-quarts plus 20-oz of oil into your n-c.motor !
(* I believe the w-c.motors were made to hold an even 3-liters, [which is 3 & 1/3rd quarts].)

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08 pm

I just changed mine for the first time. Sounds like there was close to a quart still in it when I pronounced it done draining. I am from Western PA and typically use Brad Penn in an old air-cooled flat tappet Porsche. I will probably use the motorcycle oil for my Ducati in the future. It's all PA crude and is actually green in color - has higher zinc for wear protection. I can get it for about $5/qt at the distributor.

http://www.penngrade1.com/Products/Motor-Oils/SAE-10W40.aspx
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza (Project)
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”