A blunder

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

pear0

A blunder

Postby pear0 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:46 am

Maybe I can save someone from doing this. I needed to replace the bearings in this clutch basket. Since it was a bit rusty I was sure that it was just stuck. So applied more force from the press and broke the basket. I didn't know about the circlip in between the bearings. Should have asked this group! Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bevel bob

Re: A blunder

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:52 am

Don't beat yourself up over this, the bevel motors are full of pitfalls for the unwary. Probably part of the attraction, You may have to find a pair , others on here will advise. You are now on the gentle part of the learning curve!!.

machten

Postby machten » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:55 am

+1 on Bevel Bob. I've made worse mistakes over the last 35 years of bevel ownership, but I have invested a lot of effort in erasing them from my memory, so can't tell you about them.. :roll:

Kev

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:03 am

On reflection,I don't think the primary gears are matched ,but the crank gear could be supplied in a range of oversizes. Doubt that this still an option.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:50 pm

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:58 pm

The primary gear is available in different sizes to properly set the backlash. The standard 250 clutch hubs are cast iron and will wear down the teeth if the primary gear is too tight (as well as making a whining noise). A loose fit will just rattle but probably doesn’t do the hub any good either.

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm

We all learn the hard way!

As for the gears:

Gears "were" available in different sizes, NOS parts are getting increasingly rare now!

Once the surface of the teeth on cast iron basket starts to break up to any extent they are basically worn out. Running an engine with limited filtration on a mix of cast iron dust and oil is not going to be good long term! Having been involved in manufacturing primary gears, I have had the dubious pleasure of measuring many sets of cases to check the accuracy of the pitch centre. There is quite some variation in pitch 0.25mm (10 thou)! I am therefore suspicious that the real reason for different crank gears is to work around tolerance during assembly.

Nigel
Last edited by LaceyDucati on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:24 pm

The Spanish Ducati singles even made the clutch baskets in different sizes.
I've seen them marked up to 0.8 undersize, with the size etched or engraved on the body.
Whether this was through chance or design is debatable.
I would guess that their manefacturing tolerances were not that good to start with and they matched up primary gears and clutch baskets on a 'best fit' basis.
All part of the magic of Mototrans.

Jon

krupp13

Postby krupp13 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 pm

I believe I have a spare or two laying around. Let me know if you need one.

Jeff

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”