Valve stem drilling

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

single-junk

Valve stem drilling

Postby single-junk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:53 am

Anyone ever have to drill out valve stem holes before?

The borrani style rims I have bought came without them, so I'm just looking for tips/tricks, sizing, etc.

Thanks

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Valve stem drilling

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:16 pm

[quote= single-junk ...
" Anyone ever have to drill out valve stem holes before? "

____ Yes but, hardly ever,, so I'm no expert at it !
__ Drilling against the rim from the tire-side (and towards the axle-location), I first used just a 1/8th-inch drill-bit (so that I could better keep my chosen hole location while starting my drill-hole). _ Then next followed-through with a 3/16ths-bit,, and finally followed-up by a tapered ream-bit, so as to finally enlarge the hole-diameter out-to slightly larger than an inner-tube's valve-stem.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Nick

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:34 am

Obviously, choose a spot where the spokes are diverging, not converging, then put a chamfer on each side. I also prefer a larger than needed hole to help preclude the valve stem from being torn out if the tire slips a bit on the rim. I also never tighten the valve stem nut (or I leave it off altogether) for the same reason.
Put a Mikuni on it!

single-junk

Postby single-junk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks guys, just what I needed.

I am to assume that these rims generally run tubed tires?

Nick

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 pm

Easy way to find out: put the tire on without a tube, fill it with air and see what happens.
Put a Mikuni on it!

DewCatTea-Bob

Tubeless-rims ?

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:42 am

[quote= single-junk ...
" I am to assume that these rims generally run tubed tires? "
The borrani style rims I have bought
____ You did actually mean "rims", and not 'mag-wheels',, correct ?
So if your 'rims' include all the holes needed for the 36 spoke-nipples to fit-through,, then unless there's been some recent break-through in anti air-leakage rim-technology that I'm still-yet ignorant of, then I'd strongly suspect that the rather older inner-tube technology will still be pretty-much required with your chosen "rims" ! _ Don't-ya-think? :)
__ Seriously though,, tubeless-type tires work okay along-with tubes, also.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

single-junk

Re: Tubeless-rims ?

Postby single-junk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= single-junk ...
" I am to assume that these rims generally run tubed tires? "
The borrani style rims I have bought
____ You did actually mean "rims", and not 'mag-wheels',, correct ?
So if your 'rims' include all the holes needed for the 36 spoke-nipples to fit-through,, then unless there's been some recent break-through in anti air-leakage rim-technology that I'm still-yet ignorant of, then I'd strongly suspect that the rather older inner-tube technology will still be pretty-much required with your chosen "rims" ! _ Don't-ya-think? :)
__ Seriously though,, tubeless-type tires work okay along-with tubes, also.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

Well, they're aluminum alloy spoked rims so I guess that qualifies as a mag..? Sorry, I'm a computer tech by trade; so I don't necessarily keep up with all the mechanical lingo ;)

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Tubeless-rims ?

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:02 pm

[quote= single-junk ...
" Well, they're aluminum alloy spoked rims so I guess that qualifies as a mag..? "

____ I guess we really ought-to clear-up exactly what you mean by "spoked", (since mag-wheels also have a few of their-own version of such) !
__ Don't your "rims" have 36-HOLES in them for stock-like 'spokes' with nipples to fit through ?
If so,, then a tubeless-tire itself should hold air without the help of an inner-tube, BUT the rather hole-filled rim would have a hard-time doing same ! _ Don't you think so too ?
Or do you happen to also have some kind of MIRACLE-sealing rim-strip, to go along with ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Bob, there actually has been many breakthroughs in anti air leaking technology in the past 10 years or so. Nowadays it is very common for spoked rims to be tubeless. There are many different designs that allow this. There is also several sealing products on the market to seal the old design type spoked rims. Google tubeless spoked rims and you will see many possibilities. I personally would just use a tube.
Not to say that is what we have here and the wording "borrani style rims" should be a clear explanation of what he has.
Here is a pic of one type tubeless rim that BMW has been using for some time.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

DewCatTea-Bob

Latest-decade of Tire/wheel Air-sealing Tech

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:07 am

[quote= amartina75 ...
" there actually has been many breakthroughs in anti air leaking technology in the past 10 years or so. Nowadays it is very common for spoked rims to be tubeless. "

____ While I really had serious doubts that rims made to be used with nipples & spokes could ever be made actually air-tight to properly work with tubeless-tires,, it seems I've been unduly ignorant of any such developments, and-so simply assumed that no-one would've yet bothered to try inventing anything of the like by this time. _ But at least I did have the door left open (for what seemed like such an unlikely possibility).

" There is also several sealing products on the market to seal the old design type spoked rims. " I personally would just use a tube. "

____ As would I as well,, cuz I sure wouldn't want to mess-around with any such sealer-crap every time I'd need to adjust nipples to true the rim to the wheel-hub, and also have-to trust any kind of sealer to actually fully perform it's intended air-sealing function !!

" the wording "borrani style rims" should be a clear explanation of what he has. "

____ Yes, it OUGHT-to be,, but the asking of his question lends reasonable doubt on the matter. _ And besides,, if this forum has taught me anything of certainty, it foremostly has surely taught me that very few of us always state post-wording which we actually mean
and actually mean that which we've left stated.

____ Thanks-much for your informative post !

Enlightened-Cheers,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”