ducati 450 rt wiring

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

craneguy

ducati 450 rt wiring

Postby craneguy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:52 pm

thanks for the add .looking for 450 rt wiring diagram .no lighting system.points ,coil,magneto i think ,two yellow wires coming from it am also wanting to put on tethered kill switch, pretty simple i think i know where wires go but just want to make sure

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: ducati 450 rt wiring

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:43 pm

____ Welcome as our newest member !

[quote= craneguy ...
" looking for 450 rt wiring diagram "

____ It seems you've missed a fairly recent thread (from a couple-months back) which could've saved you from asking for some of what you're inquiring of.
Here follows a link to a particular post within it, which includes a schematic-diagram for the 450R/T. ... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=442&start=20#p12517
You may desire to read that entire thread rather beginning-with it's 1st.page, (while you're there).

____ Next .let me .see if ,I can ,correctly,decipher .the rest of .your (?Eng,lish) ,in,quiry
(If not, I'm thinking BevelBob may be able to. - lol)
.no lighting system.points ,coil,magneto i think ,two yellow wires coming from it
____ Are you really sure that both alt/mag.stator-wires are "yellow", and that one isn't possibly rather 'white' instead ?
Is either one of those two wires already connected-up to the ignition-coil ?

" am also wanting to put on tethered kill switch, pretty simple i think i know where wires go but just want to make sure "

____ That's certainly-not a bad-idea...
The kill-switch's (normally ground-isolated)- wire should be connected to the same ignition-coil terminal-post as the wire that's from the ign.points !

Duke-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 am

saw that diagram but it does not show the points and condensor , your diagram has a license plate light ,a 3 terminal board a headlight switch and a headlight i have none of those i have double checked have two wires coming from mag,alt?? both are yellow im led to belive one yellow to pos on coil the other yellow to ground . iget kill switch on points wire

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 am

[quote= craneguy ...
" saw that diagram but it does not show the points and condensor "

____ The points & condenser are represented by "R", (labeled as #7, but misidentified on that page !).

" i have double checked have two wires coming from mag,alt?? both are yellow "

____ Then they must-not be the stock wiring.

" im led to belive one yellow to pos on coil the other yellow to ground . "

____ That's no-doubt NOT correct.
__ Can you use an ohm-meter to measure each wire's resistance to 'ground' -(motor-case) ?
One should measure .7 to .9-ohms, and the other wire-lead ought-to measure .5 to .6-ohms.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:54 am

so just to make things simple could you draw me the proper wiring diagram, as the one you reference is not the same as what i need that is why i was confused

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 am

craneguy wrote:so just to make things simple could you draw me the proper wiring diagram, as the one you reference is not the same as what i need that is why i was confused
____ I gather you can't see the seeked-after branches within the forest !?
__ Okay but, rather than draw-up a guess* of what you may solely want,, I'll rather simply eliminate the rest of the forest, and only leave you merely-just the branches which I assume you only want, (so you can then concentrate your perception on what's-what).
(* I can-not help you very well if you don't answer MY questions... Don't you have an ohm-meter ?)

" the one you reference is not the same as what i need "

____ Then are you really sure that you actually have a '450R/T' model ?
Cuz that stock "450 Desmo" scheme-diagram really SHOULD be the same as your supposed "ducati 450 rt" !
Since you think it's "not the same", then is it at all possible that you could be mistaken about exactly what Ducati-model you actually have ?
Do you have any pictures of it, which you could post ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:17 pm

to answer your question about ohms i cannot get any resistance on either of the two yellow wires so am waiting for electrical guy to come and check i may not know what im doing or meter may be screwed up.i cannot post pictures because it says file is too large has to be under 2 mb pics are 2.8 mb and i dont know how to change that ,
im sure theres a way . number on left case is dm450 number on right case is 455387 tag on steering neck reads month and year of manufacture 5/71 , vehicle identification number 455387 i could email you a few pictures if i had email address.you are right i could have something other than 450rt it has also had over 40 years of other people playing with it ,it is my turn now and i just want it to be right .your diagram appears to be exactly what i have with the exception of the second wire that is omitted that i still dont know where it goes

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:05 pm

[quote= craneguy ...
" i cannot get any resistance on either of the two yellow wires "

____ I'm assuming you mean that both of your readings display as '0' ? _ That would certainly be the expected case if your ohm-meter's range is set for x100k or x10k or x1k or x100, or even just x10 ! _ So it needs to be set at either x1 or x.1, in order to read-out resistance-levels under 1-ohm.
__ If you can't get the exact ohm-readings, we can still work-forth (somewhat blindly) to determine what wiring-connections you could make.
Did you happen to try looking for any ohm-reading between just the two wires (instead of to 'ground') ?

" i cannot post pictures because it says file is too large
i could email you a few pictures if i had email address. "

____ Okay then, please try sending them to my-own e.address...
' bobhansn.5-1948 @ netzero.net ' , whenever you can get-around to it.

" you are right i could have something other than 450rt
tag on steering neck reads month and year of manufacture 5/71 "

____ Then if the cyl.head also has 'DESMO' (as seen above spark-plug location) instead of '450', then it's no-doubt the off-road R/T-model.

" your diagram appears to be exactly what i have with the exception of the second wire that is omitted that i still dont know where it goes "

____ As can be determined within the original/complete-diagram, that second-wire goes to the lights !
If you don't have any lights, then it should simply be isolated & ignored.
However we still need to determine which wire is which, or just what the actual deal is with your pair of yellow-wires (which may possibly be from a n-c.model).
__ If your cyl.head has '450' instead of 'DESMO', then it's likely that you've overlooked an included red-wire that's possibly become rather hidden down-inside within the black-rubber alt/mag.cable-conduit (coming from the left-rear motor-casing).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:19 pm

sent you some pics still waiting for electric guy to come over. i did try taking the wire shielding back a few inches because i thoughtt maby there was three wires but no only two ,i get no reading on meter between the two yellow wires

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:42 pm

email i sent came back undeliverable. my email craneguy60 @ hotmail.com send me an email

____ This is DCT-Bob... I've edited your post only because it's recommended that ya don't post your email-address exactly as they are normally spaced, so as to prevent your e.address from being scoped-up by web-bots.
__ So because I knew to alter the spacing of MY e.address, (and you apparently didn't know to properly re-space it), is probably the reason why your email to me, failed.
I'll now send you an email soon.
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”