ducati 450 rt wiring

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

craneguy

Re: ducati 450 rt wiring

Postby craneguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:57 pm

ducati 450 008.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:59 pm

ducati 450 007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:01 am

ducati 450 006.JPG
ducati 450 006.JPG

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 am

ducati 450 003.JPG

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:11 am

tried replying to your email no luck dont know what is going on there but was able to post a few pics on here it does say dezmo on cover above spark plug i have pics of when i bought it but those are the ones that are too big of mb

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:12 am

[quote= craneguy ...
" i did try taking the wire shielding back a few inches because i thoughtt maby there was three wires but no only two "

____ That's rather strange, cuz non-R/T 450-models have one RED & two YELLOW wire-leads routed within the single alt.cable's shielding-conduit.
_ So does your cyl.head have 'DESMO' or '450' , (as stock R/Ts always have 'DESMO' on them !) ?

" i get no reading on meter between the two yellow wires "

____ By "no reading", I thus-then assume you must mean that the indicated resistance-level is 'off-scale' -(same as if the meter-leads haven't even been connected-up), correct ? _ (Or do you still mean a '0' reading ?)
__ It's a fair possibility that someone has replaced the stock alt.stator-cable wiring with new wire-leads (that are unfortunately both the same yellow-color).
Do those yellow-wires look fairly new to you ? _ Cuz the original wire-leads ought-to look rather awfully-poor, as they are well-known to have their insulation-coating go quite bad !
And if those wire-leads are actually rather newly added, then who-knows what-else the wire-installer might've done to the stock alt.stator-setup !?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:52 am

cylinder head cover plate has desmo on it. two yellow wires look original to me but as you suggest they could have been changed at some point.your email address that you posted is different than the email address you sent me.i appreciate your patients with me.my multimeter does not have a setting x1 or .1 when i tried testing two yellow between themselves i am off scale got to get the right meter to begin with

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:02 am

[quote= craneguy ...
" was able to post a few pics on here "

____ I've now seen four posted-pix of your 450-Duke, and it's DEFINITELY a 1971 '450R/T' model ! _ (And in quite a better condition than I had expected to see ! _ Very-nice find !)
Although your posted-pix are still too-large to look-at very well. _ I'll try to reduce them for you (later).

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:44 am

[quote= craneguy ...
" two yellow wires look original to me but as you suggest they could have been changed at some point. "

____ I've heard-of the 450RT-model coming-stock with it's alt.wire-lead's color being Yellow (for ign.system), and Red (for lighting-system),, and-also with Yellow & White and Black & Red and of-course Black & White colored pairs. _ But NEVER with both wire-leads being colored with the same "yellow" color ! _ (And of-course that situation wouldn't make good-sense, cuz then ya couldn't easily tell which wire is which.)
__ If those two "yellow" wires both "look original" to YOU,, then if indeed they are actually the originals, THEN it's quite likely that one of them is really WHITE, and has become color-tainted with a yellowing-effect !
So I'd suggest that you try scraping-off some of the outer-layer of their colored-insulation on them both, and then CLOSELY examine them to be certain that they are both actually the very-same shade of 'yellow'. _ Cuz I'm thinking that you could then possibly see that one is more whitish than the other.

" your email address that you posted is different than the email address you sent me. "

____ Yes but, only due-to the posted added-spacing directly on either side of the '@' section.

" my multimeter does not have a setting x1 or .1 when i tried testing two yellow between themselves i am off scale "

____ That ought-to mean that one or both wires have an 'open' in them, and-so then are no-good. _ But I'd rather suspect that something-else is rather amiss.
Any good-working OHM-meter really ought-to at-least display a reading of very-nearly zer0-ohms, (regardless of whether connected to both the wires, or either wire & ground) !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

craneguy

Postby craneguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:01 am

i agree with you on both wires being the same colour that is why im having issue.you posted netzero.net your email was .com i have gone and looked at several new multimeters all are the same as what i have as far as ohm settings bought one that is supposed to be automatic will keep you posted
Last edited by craneguy on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”