Petrol Tank mounting

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DucRedux

Re: Petrol Tank mounting

Postby DucRedux » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 pm

I have used polyethylene pipe insulation for tank mounting and buffering for all my bikes. It is available in IDs of 1/2 to 4 inches in increments suitable for external pipe diameters. The insulation is split which facilitates wrapping and it can be layered to widen or heighten the mount. A benefit if this product under the tank is that control cables can be shielded from chafing parts. Electrical tape secures the wrap easily. I locate the suitable mounting points and only cut the lengths needed to give cushioning and stability. The polyethylene type of insulation is closed cell which means no water absorption and a slower compression rate under weight. Depending on the tank, an application lasts 1-2 years before the product compresses too much and needs replacement.

I found this for you in Australia: http://thermotec.com.au/products/therma ... insulation

StewartD

Re: Petrol Tank mounting

Postby StewartD » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:22 am

Hi Nigel,

I just re read your comment (25.6) about the factory tour and it reminded of something else I have only just come across. It is in Kevin Cameron's book 'Classic Motorcycle Race Engines'. In the chapter on Bultaco 125 and 250 singles is a comment about assembling the TSS race motors by Ginger Molloy*.

"As TSS engines were assembled, Molloy's narrative continued, each went on the dyno. Those giving the highest power were reserved as 'factory engines'. Those giving average power were sold to European privateers. The droners went to the US (a parallel situation prevails in the wine business)." I haven't got to the Ducati chapter yet - stay tuned!

*Ginger Molloy won numerous GPs for Bultaco and came second to Agostini in the 500 championship of 1970 on an 'oversize' 350 Bultaco.

Cheers,

Stewart D

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”