Hi/Lo beam/horn button?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

sjm44

Hi/Lo beam/horn button?

Postby sjm44 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:36 pm

I am trying to find or figure out the correct hi/low beam switch on my 66 Monza. It was not there when I got the bike. It looks like the switch mounts on the left hand clutch control mount. I did find one from a 160cc but it has different mounting screw centers and this switch controls all the functions of the the headlight and looks completely different from the one in the parts manual. I see some repro CEV like switches for sale but they say they are for mounting on the 7/8" handlebar. Anyone know what is the proper switch and a source?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

StewartD

Re: Hi/Lo beam/horn button?

Postby StewartD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:50 pm

DSCF3798.jpg
DSCF3799.jpg

Hi SJM,

This is what my 65 Mach 1 has, I think they would have used the same on the Monza.

Cheers,

Stewart D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

single-junk

Postby single-junk » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 pm

My Monza is a 66 as well, and yes it has the same switch as what StewartD posted.

sjm44

Postby sjm44 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks for the information, I thought that was the correct switch. One more question, does the switch you show mount to the LH clutch lever mount or directly to the handle bar?

thanks

DewCatTea-Bob

Hi/Lo-beam / Horn-button Fitment

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:23 am

[quote= sjm44 ...
" I thought that was the correct switch. "

____ I confirm that the pictured switch-itself is indeed correct for the Duke-models which originally employ battery-powered ignition-systems.

" does the switch you show mount to the LH clutch lever mount or directly to the handle bar? "

____ For stock Duke-models, I've only ever seen them installed onto the hand-lever support/brace,, however the particular plastic-base is what determines whether such a switch was meant to mount against the brace or directly to the bar, (as that base-part can be found with different radius-sizes to fit either).

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

StewartD

Postby StewartD » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:17 pm

DSCF4758.jpg
DSCF4757.jpg

Hi SJM & Bob,

It is left handlebar, the clip ons are 22 diameter (7/8"). These original clip ons have integral brake & clutch lever mount brackets, and so switch mounts direct to bar. The lower indicator switch is, of course, not original for the Mach 1.

Cheers,

Stewart D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

remery

Postby remery » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:04 pm

My 68 350 has the same switch mounted to the handlebar, I bought a replacement many years ago and it melted as soon as I changed to high beam.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:15 pm

They really do need a relay to prevent that.

DewCatTea-Bob

Hi/Lo-beam Switch-protection

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:33 pm

[quote= remery ...
" it melted as soon as I changed to high beam. "

____ If you actually mean rather soon there-afterwards, then either your high-beam circuit must've been nearly short-circuited (somehow),, or (more likely), the switch-contact for the high-beam circuit must've been curtailed* in some manor ! - (* dirty; corroded, etc.)
Cuz the high-beam bulb-filament normally only consumes just 5-watts more power-juice (than the low-beam).
__ Those stock switches can possibly handle a 45-watt 6v.bulb, (which flows 7.5-amps),, but they do allow heat build-up from between their connection-contacts, and-so really ought-to be saved from possible burn-up/melt-down with the use of a relay (as Jordan has already suggested) ! _ As relay-units are considerably cheaper to include rather than replace the stock-switches, these-days !

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Moto Chuck

Postby Moto Chuck » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= remery ...
" it melted as soon as I changed to high beam. "

____ If you mean rather instantly, then your high-beam circuit must've been short-circuited ! _ Cuz the high-beam normally only consumes just 5-watts more power-juice.
__ Those stock switches can possibly handle a 45-watt 6v.bulb, (which flows over 7-amps),, but they do allow heat build-up between their contacts, and-so really ought-to be saved from possible burn-up/melt-down with the use of a relay (as Jordan has already suggested) ! _ As relays are considerably cheaper to replace these-days !

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

How about just putting in an inline fuse holder?

From my experience with a Moto Guzzi Ambassador, I know that the old CEV switches can fail due to corrosion and moisture on the contacts. After my first switch failed on the Guzzi I would take off the cover and spray the switch down with WD40 any time I rode in the rain. It survived for a lot of years with that kind of maintenance.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”