valve collet types

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Timmy250

valve collet types

Postby Timmy250 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:00 pm

groove_shape.jpg
Hi, I need to replace my valve keepers, 250 Monza, circa '62 narrow case. My valves are as #1 in photo, but it seems that replacement parts I have been able to find have only keepers for #2. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks,

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

double diamond

Re: valve collet types

Postby double diamond » Thu May 29, 2014 5:19 pm

I've never encountered a valve like #1 in a N/C single head. #2 is typical. Does the head have coil springs or stock hairpin springs?

Timmy250

Postby Timmy250 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Hair pin springs.

machten

Postby machten » Thu May 29, 2014 11:53 pm

Number 1 is a Desmo valve, 2 is the type of valve you'd expect to see in a Monza. The collets (or half rings) should be readily available from all the usual sources.

Kev

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri May 30, 2014 3:50 pm

[quote= Timmy250 ...
" I need to replace my valve keepers,
My valves are as #1 in photo,
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? "

_____ I'm pretty-sure I've seen valves like that odd one before,, but I'm afraid I can't agree with Kev, as the keeper-groove doesn't look quite right to me, to be an actual DESMO-valve.
Could you post pictures of the valve-keepers and the spring-ties (top & bottom views), which you got with that strange valve ? _ Cuz I not only believe that your v.keepers are considerably larger than the DESMO-type 'C-clips', but I'm also pretty-sure that the associated spring-ties are-not the same as DESMO spring-ties either. _ (And if indeed they're not, then your spring-ties wouldn't be able to hold the collet which retains the DESMO-type C-clip v.keepers anyhow !)
__ My memory of finding such unusual valves & keepers is rather faint (from the early '70s),, however as I recall, the v.keepers were-not merely 'C-clips', but rather somewhat more like the rather common regular/standard valve-keepers along-with a protruding ridge (which fits into the valve-groove). _ So whereas the flat-top of the common/std.keepers lock-against the common/std.valve's stem-recess,, in the unusual case of this uncommon valve-keeper setup, the uncommon-keepers rather rely upon their added (male) groove-RIDGE to lock-into the (female) grove of the uncommon-valves. _ And-so other than their added 'ridge',, the uncommon-keepers appear much like the common-keepers, except that their top-edges aren't flattened (as the common-keepers need to be).
As for the associated spring-ties (which the v.keepers fit into), they appear to be pretty-much the same as the common std.spring-ties,, however I'm not sure whether they're interchangeable, as the common-keepers may employ a wider taper-fit (than that of the odd-keepers).
____ My only suggestion, (if you really need replacement valve-keepers), is to acquire the common/std.type valves to go with the type of v.keepers which you can obtain.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Timmy250

Postby Timmy250 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 am

Bob, I believe you are correct. I'm away, but will post pics when I return.

Tim

DewCatTea-Bob

Valve-keepers & Spring-ties

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:45 am

[quote= Timmy250 ...
" will post pics when I return. "

____ Looking forward to that, and hope you have at-least one of the uncommon valve-keepers to show us ! _ If you have both pairs,, then please take a close-up picture showing all four laid-out so that we can see each one posed at a different angle, with each exposing an opposite end and/or side.
Then hopefully I'll be certain to identify whether they are the exact-same type which I-myself have encountered (within old-250 or 200 heads).
__ Also to help reduce the number of pictures taken, please show both spring-ties posed together with one upside-down & laid at a different angle.
What's important to determine about this part (which the v.keepers fit into), is not only whether a DESMO-type, but also whether interchangeable with the spring-ties that retain the common-type v.keepers.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

machten

Postby machten » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 am

Here's a pic of the inlet valve that came out of my 250 M3D (bottom) and the new one I put in it (top). You may recall my query at the time regarding the different relative distance of the c-clip slots from the top of the valve stem.

The slot width does look a bit larger. The width of the slot on my pictured valves is about 1.3mm as best as I can measure it.

Inlet Valves.jpg2.jpg

Kev

graeme

Postby graeme » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:55 am

How much clearance from the collet groove, fitted with a closing shim, to the lower edge of the opening shim?
Where did you buy the new valve?

Graeme

machten

Postby machten » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:16 am

I don't recall exactly Graeme, but there was no issue with that clearance. Best photo I have is this..The head had just been fitted with new valve seats and guides at this point. The closing shims I ran fairly loose to accommodate Ducati's rather asymmetrical camshaft opener/closer lobe grinds. ;)

Capture2.JPG

I got the valves from Ian Gowanloch back in 2011. I've had no issues with them at all.

Kev

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”