introduction and first question

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

kalli

Re: introduction and first question

Postby kalli » Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 pm

does anybody know what size my crank pin should be if the conrod big end width (just the conrod not the thrust washers), is about 18mm > 18.2mm. is that possible and what is my crank pin size then 30mm?
1972 350 scr

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed May 28, 2014 5:21 am

your bigend has a 32/39/ 18 mm bigend bearing . bigendholes in the flywheel could be 27 mm ( early ) or 30 mm

Eldert

kalli

Postby kalli » Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 am

early meaning before what year or model? i am positive that mine is after 1969 most likely 1971/2 (a picture of it at the begining of the post) would engine number answer that?

thanks Eldert

kalli
1972 350 scr

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed May 28, 2014 11:02 am

kalli wrote:"early" meaning before what year or model?

The various editions that I have of the parts book are irritatingly silent on this. Either they don't record the change; or they record it, but don't say when it occurred, despite having a column in the description page for doing so.

According to Massimo Clarke, the switch occurred "fine 1969-inizio 1970". This kinda implies that he didn't manage to work out the exact time either ;) . As to the models concerned, Clarke doesn't say which and, to be honest, I havent checked :) ; but I suspect all.

kalli wrote:I am positive that mine is after 1969, most likely 1971/2. Would engine number answer that?

Yes. But don't expect too much from the engine number. It will give you a general indication of when your bike was assembled, but no more than that.

I am not aware of any extant factory records of assembly dates by either engine or frame number. Such records may still exist, but I've never heard of them. I guess people who might know differently include Ian Falloon or Livio Lodi .... :?:. So much dating information is on the basis of registration dates which can, of course, be some months - years even, on occasion - different from the assembly date.

You should also be aware that the Ducati production year was not a calendar year. The factory year started after the return from the summer close down in August. So a bike made in September 1969 is ... a 1970 bike. Which possibly explains Massimo Clarke's statement, "fine 1969-inizio 1970".

Also, engines were pre-assembled and stocked prior to being assembled into frames. So your engine may have been built some time before your bike was made. This is one reason why bikes from apparently the same production time can be slightly different to each other.

Ciao

Craig

kalli

Postby kalli » Sat May 31, 2014 1:49 pm

so the only way to tell is strip and measure.

thank you all
1972 350 scr

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”