Large face Veglia tach or speedo servicing anyone?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

john jupiter

Large face Veglia tach or speedo servicing anyone?

Postby john jupiter » Mon May 19, 2014 5:11 am

I have a Velia Tachometer that Is free but the needle does not move. Is it rebuildable? Has anyone taken one apart? What is the best way to do it?

Also have a speedo with a spring that looks like a bowl of spaghetti. Are theses springs available anyhere? Any suggestions on the procedure?

Thanks
1970 450 Jupiter

Jordan

Re: Large face Veglia tach or speedo servicing anyone?

Postby Jordan » Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 am

I know someone that fixes large face Veglia tachos, so it's possible.

Tip: If you're tempted to dismantle it yourself, remove the locking screw in the rim of the aluminium bezel first.
Many good tacho bodies have been destroyed because people have tried to unscrew the rim without knowing about this small screw.

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Mon May 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Heres the screw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon May 19, 2014 11:36 pm

[quote= john jupiter ...
" I have a Velia Tachometer that Is free but the needle does not move. Is it rebuildable? Has anyone taken one apart? "

____ It seems you may've never seen this past thread ... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=860&p=5886&#p5886

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks Bob, i saw that thread, it only covers removing the bezel which i've got down pat. I was hoping to strart a thread and see if anyone actually took the insides apart or if that is possible.
1970 450 Jupiter

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 am

[quote="john jupiter ...
" I was hoping to strart a thread and see if anyone actually took the insides apart or if that is possible. "

____ I suppose it'd be possible to do so (AND manage to get it BACK-together as well) by someone such as a watchmaker with related skills &tools, (if not a Vegiia factory-worker).
Otherwise I'd expect to not be completely successful.
__ The furthest I-myself ever went with a successful repair, was to fix a broken spring.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue May 20, 2014 1:13 pm

As for paying someone to do the work, only two shops come to my mind:

Palo Alto Speedometer:

http://www.paspeedo.com/

and...

North Hollywood Speedometer:

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

As for which is better, which is cheaper, which is faster, who has more experience/parts/etc. for Veglia... I don't know.

Jim

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed May 21, 2014 4:54 pm

It's simple enough to get the tachometer out of the housing by removing the two mounting studs, but you need a special tool to get the needle off the pin in order to delve any deeper.

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Wed May 21, 2014 5:01 pm

DD,
Ive been gently trying to get that needle out with no luck. What type of tool is needed? What does it release?
Thanks!
1970 450 Jupiter

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed May 21, 2014 6:17 pm

The needle is just pressed on to the pin. I tried prying one off and broke the pin. I’ve considered making a tool to remove the needle. It would be a small version of a ball-joint removing tool; two fingers that hold the needle close to the pin and a screw with a very small pin on the end that could fit inside the hole on the needle and press the pin out. I have a bicycle chain breaker that I’ve considered modifying for this purpose.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”