00736- Mark3 USA 67

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

lmarazzi

00736- Mark3 USA 67

Postby lmarazzi » Sat May 17, 2014 2:20 am

I treated myself to this as a birthday/Christmas present.
I cannot bring myself to touch it, Cause once I do...it ain't original no more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lmarazzi on Sat May 31, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick

Re: 0376- Mark3 USA 67

Postby Nick » Sat May 17, 2014 6:07 am

Sooo nice. Get it running and ride it as is!

Patina is priceless. The Japanese have a term for it: 'wabi-sabi' This term is almost untranslatable, but it means (among other things) the beauty inherent in well-worn objects that have been lovingly cared for over many years and even many generations. Thus is the old teacup, cracked and chipped though it may be, valued far more highly than a piece of shiny new china.

Your humble Ducati perfectly expresses this highly refined esthetic.
Put a Mikuni on it!

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat May 17, 2014 10:25 am

[quote= lmarazzi ...
" I treated myself to this as a birthday/Christmas present. "

____ You should've joined-up here the week before Christmas, when you acquired this lucky Duke-find !
Does it run okay ?
__ It's not an actual 1967-model though. _ By what I can see in the picture, telltale clues indicate that it's a late 1965 or early 1966 model.
Got anymore pictures ?
__ BTW, the front brake-lever (on the wheel) obviously ought-to have it's leverage-angle adjusted.

____ WELCOME to our w.site, new-member !

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

lmarazzi

Re: 00736- Mark3 USA 67

Postby lmarazzi » Mon May 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Nick wrote:Sooo nice. Get it running and ride it as is!

Patina is priceless. The Japanese have a term for it: 'wabi-sabi' This term is almost untranslatable, but it means (among other things) the beauty inherent in well-worn objects that have been lovingly cared for over many years and even many generations. Thus is the old teacup, cracked and chipped though it may be, valued far more highly than a piece of shiny new china.

Your humble Ducati perfectly expresses this highly refined esthetic.

Thank you.
that is what drew me to this bike, it is humble but true.
left as it is it will inly deteriorate. the balance will be minimal work to maintain its character.
riding it should be, but is not my primary aim, it has a place in time. Also I am in no mood to explain over and over again why its as it is, and not painted and polished.
Last edited by lmarazzi on Sat May 31, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmarazzi

Postby lmarazzi » Mon May 19, 2014 2:15 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= lmarazzi ...
" I treated myself to this as a birthday/Christmas present. "

____ You should've joined-up here the week before Christmas, when you acquired this lucky Duke-find !
Does it run okay ?
__ It's not an actual 1967-model though. _ By what I can see in the picture, telltale clues indicate that it's a late 1965 or early 1966 model.
Got anymore pictures ?
__ BTW, the front brake-lever (on the wheel) obviously ought-to have it's leverage-angle adjusted.

____ WELCOME to our w.site, new-member !
Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

thank you for the welcome
its has an M1 engine 0376, oddly or not, a 27mm carb.
I have not fired it up. I can see that someone tried a new plug, which has never fired, but no other signs of tampering. Engine is free, compression is down but not out.
Going to go at this easy.
Just in case I get impatient, I have a bag of parts 350 which will satiate my need to wield a wrench.
work is keeping me from tinkering and updating. but I will post more images soon.
Tires look new, 8k miles. its sat along time.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

[quote="lmarazzi ...
" its has an M1 engine 0376, "

____ Then I guess that's supposed to mean that it's an early 1965-model, (but the wheel-drum type would indicate otherwise, I thought). - (How about some speculation from double-diamond ?)
__ Have you seen & read the thread which recently discussed M1-motors in Mark-3 models ?
What-all clued you to be so sure that it's an actual "Mark3" ?

" oddly or not, a 27mm carb. "

____ I'd say 'oddly', as it ought-to have a 29mm-SSI.

" I have not fired it up. I can see that someone tried a new plug, which has never fired, "

____ Does it at-least have signs of sparking ?

M1.Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed May 21, 2014 5:32 pm

I’d like to see a few more pictures, but from what I can see, there are some interesting clues. The tank has the “swift” paint scheme which would indicate the later, smaller capacity Mk3 tank with clearance for the carb. I would expect an SSI 29 but the carb could have easily been changed out after sale. Appears to have a tachometer (only clue is the drive cable), rearsets and flat bars (rather than clip-ons) which all indicate a later Mk3 chassis. But the seat is the early Diana Mk III type. Looks like there might be an intact frame tag on the steering head. Is it readable? Also, the engine number should have two zeros: DM250M1 00376. Is this what is stamped on the cases or is there really only two zeros? I wouldn’t touch this bike as far as condition, just dust it off, verify that the insides of the carb and tank are clean and that no water has accumulated in the crankcase, no rust in the head, etc. whatever it takes to get it mechanically sound. Drain the forks and fill with fresh oil. As long as it’s stored indoors in a dry space, the condition won’t deteriorate. It’s a gem as is.

lmarazzi

Postby lmarazzi » Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote="lmarazzi ...
" its has an M1 engine 0376, "

____ Then I guess that's supposed to mean that it's an early 1965-model, (but the wheel-drum type would indicate otherwise, I thought). - (How about some speculation from double-diamond ?)
__ Have you seen & read the thread which recently discussed M1-motors in Mark-3 models ?
What-all clued you to be so sure that it's an actual "Mark3" ?

a good friend, who has forgotten more than I ever knew, has gone over some detail with me and as a result we are satisfied that the previous owner sold it correctly a s a Mark3, wether it is a 67 or not well that's open at the moment. I will attach some images of various parts which some might find interesting. First item proves I cannot read.

____ Does it at-least have signs of sparking ?

wiring is a bit off a mess with rear light missing so no sparking at this point
Last edited by lmarazzi on Sat May 31, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lmarazzi

Postby lmarazzi » Sat May 31, 2014 10:03 pm

double diamond wrote:I’d like to see a few more pictures, but from what I can see, there are some interesting clues. The tank has the “swift” paint scheme which would indicate the later, smaller capacity Mk3 tank with clearance for the carb. I would expect an SSI 29 but the carb could have easily been changed out after sale. Appears to have a tachometer (only clue is the drive cable), rearsets and flat bars (rather than clip-ons) which all indicate a later Mk3 chassis. But the seat is the early Diana Mk III type. Looks like there might be an intact frame tag on the steering head. Is it readable? Also, the engine number should have two zeros: DM250M1 00376. Is this what is stamped on the cases or is there really only two zeros? I wouldn’t touch this bike as far as condition, just dust it off, verify that the insides of the carb and tank are clean and that no water has accumulated in the crankcase, no rust in the head, etc. whatever it takes to get it mechanically sound. Drain the forks and fill with fresh oil. As long as it’s stored indoors in a dry space, the condition won’t deteriorate. It’s a gem as is.

I changed subject to 00736, the 0376 was is not the number.
here are some images

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:09 am

[quote= lmarazzi ...
" a good friend,
has gone over some detail with me and as a result we are satisfied that
it s a Mark3, "

____ You must be correct, as the 'Green-label' ign.coil is consistent with a Mark-3 ign.system.
__ Also, you should then find that the black-cable from the motor-case contains three wire-leads... 1-red, 1-white, & 1-yellow, with the yellow-wire connected to the ign.coil.
(A Mach-I has only two yellow wire-leads.)

" wether it is a 67 or not well that's open at the moment. "

____ It's not-only not a '67 but, it's my understanding that the very-first 1965 Mark-3 models were fitted with M1-motors.
Here's the related thread... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1686

" wiring is a bit off a mess with rear light missing so no sparking at this point "

____ With the yellow-wire already connected to the ign.coil,, make-sure that the white-wire is grounded, and then you should be able to get ign.spark across a grounded spark-plug !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”