how to put front end back by myself?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

cooperplace

how to put front end back by myself?

Postby cooperplace » Thu May 15, 2014 8:35 am

I've taken the front end off my 250 Monza, and it's a piece of cake to get it off, but it always seems to be a 2-person job to get it back together. Every time I try by myself, there are ball bearings oozing out. Does anyone have any tricks enabling them to put the forks back on with just one operator? I'd be very grateful to learn of them.

I've searched for this, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
be nice, I'm not very bright.

Jordan

Re: how to put front end back by myself?

Postby Jordan » Thu May 15, 2014 10:42 am

The steering head on a single is a pain to work on, unless you remove the wheel, guard and fork tubes.

There's no way to secure the bearings unless the top triple clamp is in place - especially frustrating if you want to just work on clip on handlebars.

Very similar to late singles is the front end fitted to parallel twins. On these, there's a nut under the top triple clamp, a small addition that makes work a lot easier.
This could be neat upgrade, if it's not against your religion.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 am

Jordan wrote:The steering head on a single is a pain to work on, unless you remove the wheel, guard and fork tubes.

There's no way to secure the bearings unless the top triple clamp is in place - especially frustrating if you want to just work on clip on handlebars.

Very similar to late singles is the front end fitted to parallel twins. On these, there's a nut under the top triple clamp, a small addition that makes work a lot easier.
This could be neat upgrade, if it's not against your religion.

a nut under the triple clamp? I'm not with you, I'm sorry. How would this help?

I was thinking of using a jack or something to lift up the forks, with the bottom bearings stuck in place with grease.

Would I need to fit a parallel twin triple clamp?

Thanks

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Fri May 16, 2014 9:13 am

No, sorry, the parallel twin forks idea is only for late model singles, not your Monza.

My advice is to remove the wheel, guard and fork tubes.
If you find a better way, let us know.

smack

Postby smack » Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am

I have this to look forward to, please post pics.

Cam3512

Postby Cam3512 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:32 am

Definitely a job for four hands. Even then, it took some work to get everything locked down without any bearings moving or falling out. Use sticky red grease. We were able to zip tie the lower tree and stem up into the neck by screwing the front tank mount bolts into the neck and using those as anchor points for the zip ties until we could get the top tree and nut tightened down. Getting the fork tubes pulled up into the trees was a blast too (Not).

Cam

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sat May 17, 2014 6:01 am

Cam3512 wrote:Definitely a job for four hands. Even then, it took some work to get everything locked down without any bearings moving or falling out. Use sticky red grease. We were able to zip tie the lower tree and stem up into the neck by screwing the front tank mount bolts into the neck and using those as anchor points for the zip ties until we could get the top tree and nut tightened down. Getting the fork tubes pulled up into the trees was a blast too (Not).

Cam

yeah that pretty much describes my experience. I can get the front end back on with someone to help. But even with guard and wheel removed, I can't get it all back together by myself. Yes, I have friends, but I sometimes like to work on my bike late at night, like midnight.

gtrench

Postby gtrench » Sat May 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Something like this helps A LOT. I made one from some threaded rod and an old top fork nut.
-Gabe
(btw, hope we're allowed to post ebay screen shots...if not, sorry!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sat May 17, 2014 9:56 pm

+1 for the sticky red grease trick. I just pack that thick wheel bearing grease around the ball bearings to hold them in place.

Jim

syrup head

Postby syrup head » Sat May 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi Cooperplace
I used thick grease on the bearings and rapped a ratched tie down around the top and bottom yokes this kept everything in place so you didnt mislodge any ball bearing.Hope this is of some help.
Cheers Syrup head

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”