Tuning a Mototrans 250cc

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

NewKidOnTheBlock

Re: Tuning a Mototrans 250cc

Postby NewKidOnTheBlock » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi All,

It's been a while, but I've finally got the bike road worthy. Have taken her for a blast over the weekend and I'm generally pretty happy, I need to sort out my jetting which was always expected with a new carb on a new engine, she's running rich on the main jet.

A couple of little videos for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1p-yxi58vc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Bcp5QP1KM

While I was out test riding it now highlights what I always knew, I need to do something in the handling department, I'm currently on the stock monza jr. forks which are, excuse the pun; shocking! (Or lacking there abouts). It was always my intention to replace the forks and front brake with something a little better. I have the yokes for the stock 30mm forks as well as another set to suit 31.5mm forks.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what makes a good swap? I'd like something that looks period(ish) but I'm not too worried if it's original Ducati equipment, although working with the speedo drive would be desired.

I was always dreaming of replacing the rims with some 17" or 18" ally ones rather than my steel 16" ones - preferably a size that can accept something with a slightly more sporting profile.

What are people's thoughts on good swaps?

Cheers

LarryNZ

Postby LarryNZ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:50 am

Re your enquiry about going to a different front brake and wheels, you might find this photo interesting of my bike. The rear wheel is a Borrani 17", the front is a Borrani 18" laced to a circa 1972 Honda 350 TLS brake/hub. I think it has a reasonably balanced look but am contemplating a conversion to a set of Ceriani forks if I could talk my friend out of them. Hope this is worthwhile to you. Good Luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Looks good, Larry. Very smart, them Borranis ...

Craig

NewKidOnTheBlock

Postby NewKidOnTheBlock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks Larry, yours looks nice.

Any idea how much difference the ride is with your friend's Ceriani forks?

Cheers!

LarryNZ

Postby LarryNZ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Sorry, that is just a hope for the future. They are on the wall of his shop in Seattle, I am in New Zealand. I am sure they would be much more stable in all situations. I am thinking it would require a rework/replacement of the steering head and how will this plus the large tyres change the overall geometry/handling-? A thing to consider also is the vast number of Japanese forks that resemble vintage Italian ones. Sometimes with a little lathe work they can look very "European" but you can only throw so many dollars at these bikes, for limited improvements other than cosmetic. I have just joined the site but would think many others have done lots of experimenting. Good Luck and I would be interested if you let me know what route you go on your bike. Cheers

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”