camshaft removal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DucRedux

camshaft removal

Postby DucRedux » Thu May 08, 2014 4:53 pm

I'm asking for confirmation that the camshaft lock nut on a 250 NC has a left-hand thread. A locking tool for the cam lobes and shaft has been fashioned from 38 mm steel tubing, but the thin wall tubing is distorting under the strain. Before I resort to an impact gun, or remake the locking tube with heavy wall pipe, I would like to be assured that the loosening direction is correct.

ecurbruce

Re: camshaft removal

Postby ecurbruce » Thu May 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi DucRedux,

In the search engine at the top righthand corner of page, if you type
"only two nuts", you will find where Bob has answered that question!LOL

Bruce

motoital

Postby motoital » Thu May 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes and an impact wrench is a great idea. As you are obviously experiencing, they can be very tight. Good luck!

DucRedux

Postby DucRedux » Thu May 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Thank you for your replies. I've been in the garage working with a piece of black pipe and reducing it's outer diameter a few tenths of a millimeter so it can fit into the head as a locking tool. It occurred to me that I should have checked in the manual to see if the thread direction is given. I have several singles manuals beside the online versions, but the one at hand today was a 1960's Clymer Manual. Sure enough, the 14 x 1 mm hex nut listed for the camshaft has a suffix of "sin."
"Sin." is an abbreviation for the Italian word "sinistra" meaning "left".

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 pm

[quote= ecurbruce ... "
" In the search engine at the top righthand corner of page, if you type
"only two nuts", you will find where Bob has answered that question! "

____ As usual, the search-engine tends to find MOSTLY posts with UNrelated-stuff that's FAR-from that which is meant to-be searched for !
__ If our w.site included a tree-structured thread-directory, then we'd all have the option to rather more directly look-up various preexisting RELATED threads, such as the one found with this link... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1293&p=8873&#p8873 . _ However it seems that no-one other than myself thinks that such a directory is worth creating !?
Oh-well,, maybe it's actually a good-thing for searchers to find a bunch of unrelated posts to sort-through and-then quite possibly learn about OTHER-things, as well
(which MAY possibly make-up for their searching-frustrations).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”