smack and his 67 Monza

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

smack

smack and his 67 Monza

Postby smack » Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi all. Steve here. I live in Forster NSW Aus. I have had a Monza for a few decades and am finally rebuilding it. It came to me as a kids dirt bike with most of the tin ware missing. Slowly piecing it back together. I won't get anything painted until I can assemble it completely, making sure it all fits up. Ebay has been good to me, as has Phil at Road and Race.

My other bikes at the moment are a 2011 Hypermotard, 1997 600SS, TL125, Montesa Cota 172 and a Sherpa T 350.

Nick

Re: smack and his 67 Monza

Postby Nick » Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am

Welcome to the board. You've come to the right place!
Put a Mikuni on it!

smack

Postby smack » Fri May 16, 2014 7:06 am

The remantling has commenced. The lower triple clamps are bent. Another set in the post on Monday should get me out of the poo. Today I dismantled the forks and have started cleaning them up. The rest of the bike is due to go to the painters next week sometime.

smack

Postby smack » Sat May 31, 2014 8:10 am

Now about those forks. I didn't know anything about them until I read a few threads on this site. Mine are straight, have surface rust, the threads at the top are borked. I have cleaned them up quite well, but the engineering dude that is fixing the threads said I should soak them in molasses/water mix for a week or 10 days. What say you?

smack

Postby smack » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:42 am

This bitsa came into my life over 35 years ago. It had been crashed, then stripped and used as a dirt bike. Many cosmetic parts were missing. Over the last 4 decades I have searched for the missing parts and I can finally say it is time to remantle it.

This is how it was after 25 years of storage in a shed in Grafton

The tank was pretty bad and I was missing the correct airbox. These arrived from Canada a few months ago and will be repaired and painted the same colour.

The rims looked completely fucked, but after the success with the Cota wheels I sent them off to Kunda Park electroplating.

This is what they look like after polishing hubs and fitting new SS spokes from Road and Race.

The forks on this bike have external springs so the fork tubes don't have chrome on them. I've had them soaking in a molasses/water mix for a week now and will remantle them this weekend.

The steering stem/lower triple clamp was mislaid and a replacement was sourced from Phil at Road and Race. It needed an engineer to clean up the threads and make the bearing cups fit neatly. It's off to find a sandblaster for the frame and this box.

The motor is locked tight and Phil will rebuild it for a good price soon.

Moto Chuck

Postby Moto Chuck » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Looks like a lot of elbow grease involved in the process. Very nice work. Keep posting pictures.

StewartD

Postby StewartD » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi Steve,

You said you were going to assemble the machine before going to the painters. This is very good policy. Don't be like me and rush in!

The standard petrol tank mounting is a truly pathetic bit of engineering; at this stage it is worth trying to improve it. I am starting a new thread with this as the subject. I hope it helps you and anyone else.

Cheers,

Stewart D

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”