Ducati Flat tracker kicking it

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

geomoto

Ducati Flat tracker kicking it

Postby geomoto » Mon May 05, 2014 8:10 pm

I just returned from the AMA Flat track 1/2 mi. race at Henry IL. This was the first time I have been able to meet Malcolme Tunstall of Syd's Cycle. Malcolme has been very helpful to me with parts, machining and free advise.
He recently has prepared a Duc flat track bike for his 20 yr. old son John to race in the AMA vintage series. John has been doing very well and on Sun. absolutely dominated the class. The bike is a 250 scrambler wide case. The main mod is that they have modified the frame by lowering the engine cradle 2". This bike would be should run in the "250 brakeless" class but since John is new they are running a brake so have to move up to the "250 hotshoe" class for bikes up to 1980 both 4 stroke and 2 stroke. Sunday they combined the 250 and 360 class to get a full field on the track. Did not matter, John went straight to the front and pulled away every time. Very smoothly, just puts the power down and goes. This class includes some pretty racey bikes like Bul Astro. Appears to be a combination of a working chassis/engine and a good rider.
I won the "250 brakeless" class on my Duc framer with motor prepared by Malcolme. Did not like the "deep cushion" track as it got pretty rutted, difficult on a "hardtail" bike. But I could take it easy in the corners and when I heard someone coming up on me just blew them off on the long straights. Thanks Malcolme!
Geomoto

Nick

Re: Ducati Flat tracker kicking it

Postby Nick » Tue May 06, 2014 12:40 am

Photos, or it didn't happen!
Put a Mikuni on it!

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Tue May 06, 2014 5:18 am

Malcolme @ Syds built the motor for my bike and it runs great. He was able to make it really run strong by matching the cam and carb to some good porting that was done by Erv Kanemoto back in 1968. I have a couple pictures of the bike he built his son. I will post up tomorrow. Nothing but good things to say about working with their shop. Good parts and lots of help.

Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

geomoto

Postby geomoto » Fri May 09, 2014 10:48 pm

https://plus.google.com/photos/10190042 ... n76GnZSdBQ
Happened! Lots of photos to page thru here. John Tunstall on the yellow #36 blowing their doors off, me on the black "too pretty to race" #61.

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Tue May 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Here are the pictures that Malcolme had sent me. Sorry took awhile to get them to upload.

Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

geomoto

Postby geomoto » Thu May 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Yes, that is Johns bike. These pics are before they modified the frame to drop the motor 2" which also pulled the fork rake in steeper.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”