kickstart shaft thrust washers

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

narrow_monza

kickstart shaft thrust washers

Postby narrow_monza » Mon May 05, 2014 1:23 am

Greetings,

I have 2 questions about the thrust washers that go on he kickstart shaft (on either side of the cylindrical spacer)

1) Does the one that goes against the return spring need to be wedged behind the clutch basket (and not removable unless the clutch basket is removed)?
2) Where can I buy them? (Part number 0150.29.050 and 0150.07.130)

Thanks

-Adrian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: kickstart shaft thrust washers

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon May 05, 2014 2:19 am

[quote= narrow_monza ...
" I have 2 questions about the thrust washers that go on he kickstart shaft
Does the one that goes against the return spring need to be wedged behind the clutch basket "

____ The larger one is actually intended as a retaining-plate/washer to hold-back the return-spring in it's place & away-from the basket/gear,, so-thus of-course it needs to be kept behind the basket along with it's spring, (although certainly-not "wedged" per-se).

" (and not removable unless the clutch basket is removed)? "

____ It seems to me that I recall being able to remove & install the entire ks.shaft (& all it's-own related pieces) without removal of the clutch-basket, (although a somewhat tricky task to accomplish).
__ If you post a close-up picture* of just the internal area all around the installed ks.shaft (* on the rear-side of the installed basket), then it ought remind me of exactly how that task may be possible to accomplish, and I'll explain the procedure if desired.

Hopeful-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

narrow_monza

Postby narrow_monza » Wed May 07, 2014 3:29 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= narrow_monza ...
" I have 2 questions about the thrust washers that go on he kickstart shaft
Does the one that goes against the return spring need to be wedged behind the clutch basket "

____ The larger one is actually intended as a retaining-plate/washer to hold-back the return-spring in it's place & away-from the basket/gear,, so-thus of-course it needs to be kept behind the basket along with it's spring, (although certainly-not "wedged" per-se).

***** how about the smaller washer on the outer side? What is its main function? I'm asking because it's missing and I can't seem to find an replacement of the exact size.

" (and not removable unless the clutch basket is removed)? "

____ It seems to me that I recall being able to remove & install the entire ks.shaft (& all it's-own related pieces) without removal of the clutch-basket, (although a somewhat tricky task to accomplish).
__ If you post a close-up picture* of just the internal area all around the installed ks.shaft (* on the rear-side of the installed basket), then it ought remind me of exactly how that task may be possible to accomplish, and I'll explain the procedure if desired.

******* I was about to post a picture but I got a message that the board attachment quota has been reached.
Will try again later.

Thanks

Adrian

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 am

[quote= narrow_monza ...
" ***** how about the smaller washer on the outer side? What is its main function? I'm asking because it's missing and I can't seem to find an replacement of the exact size. "

____ It's exact size is not very important, as that shim-washer's job is to hold the cylindrical-spacer pressed against the return-spring plate/washer, (since without it, the pressed-in brass-bushing would then have-to be distressed with the burden of that function). _ So, so-long as that shim-washer is the same thickness along-with roughly the same inner-diameter, it's outer-diameter merely needs to be any size that's too wide to fit into the hole where the brass-bushing fits-in & resides, (thus keeping any pressure off-of that bush [that's pressed into the eng.side-cover] ).
Also, that shim-washer's secondary-function may help to block oil-sump splashing from direct-access to the clearance-space between the side-cover bush & ks.shaft.
__ I'd say it's probably okay to use the same shim-washer that's employed next-to the spring, (if you happen to be able to source more than one of those-type).

" ***** I was about to post a picture but I got a message that the board attachment quota has been reached. "

____ Perhaps if you delete or shrink the size of the pic you've posted above, then maybe you'll leave enough space to post another pic.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

narrow_monza

Postby narrow_monza » Thu May 08, 2014 3:21 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= narrow_monza ...

" ***** I was about to post a picture but I got a message that the board attachment quota has been reached. "

____ Perhaps if you delete or shrink the size of the pic you've posted above, then maybe you'll leave enough space to post another pic.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

Here's a picture of the back washer. Is that its proper location sandwiched between the return spring and the clutch basket teeth?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu May 08, 2014 3:27 am

When i took my motor down ( it was built by a "profesional"bike shop) i found it was missing the spacer and both shim/washers. Had to make up the spacer and beg the shims from mates.This meant that the shim thickness was not critical as i was able to adjust the spacer cut from a length of tube.

narrow_monza

Postby narrow_monza » Thu May 08, 2014 3:44 am

Bevel bob wrote:When i took my motor down ( it was built by a "profesional"bike shop) i found it was missing the spacer and both shim/washers. Had to make up the spacer and beg the shims from mates.This meant that the shim thickness was not critical as i was able to adjust the spacer cut from a length of tube.

Good to know that the thickness is not critical but I wonder if the clutch basket will rub against shim washer retaining the return spring.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 pm

[quote= narrow_monza ...
" Good to know that the thickness is not critical "

____ But what he/Bob had actually meant, is that the thicknesses of any replacement shim-washers didn't much matter only BECAUSE he could adjust the length of his-own home-made tube-spacer to compensate for the possible varied thicknesses of any substituted shim-washers.
__ So if ya retain the STOCK-tube, and combine it with washer-shims which are TOO-thick,, then the eng.side-cover may not be able to become completely flush-mated in it's place against the motor-case.
So therefore, the 'thickness' CAN be fairly "critical" !

" but I wonder if the clutch basket will rub against shim washer retaining the return spring. "

____ Well if the combined total-length of all-three pieces is kept the SAME-length as stock, then that washer-plate will be held-back out-of-the-way !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu May 08, 2014 10:15 pm

____ I didn't notice this post sooner, cuz Comcast/internet-provider was down&out AGAIN.

[quote= narrow_monza ...
" Here's a picture of the back washer. "

____ Your posted picture could stand some adjustment ! _ So I've done-so & re-posted it below.

" Is that its proper location sandwiched between the return spring and the clutch basket teeth? "

____ Yes, (otherwise it couldn't do it's intended function).

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”