250 GT ca. 1964: some help needed

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

cooperplace

250 GT ca. 1964: some help needed

Postby cooperplace » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:25 pm

I've just got one of these in pieces and I'm putting it together. Two problems, of many no doubt, have come up:

1. The clutch is REALLY heavy. is this typical?
2. The headlight attaches to two cylindrical covers that slip over the upper fork tubes and then the triple clamp goes over the top. But there doesn't seem to be a way of securing these covers: they just slop up & down a few mm. I think some rubber piece might be missing. Any suggestions?
thanks
be nice, I'm not very bright.

motoital

Re: 250 GT ca. 1964: some help needed

Postby motoital » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 pm

I really like the blue 250 gt. The big tank with the monza tool boxes looks nice. Well heavy is a relative term but they do seem a bit heavy and I'm left handed. It should not be painful though. And yes you need a rubber grommet for the headlight mounts. Guzzino has them. Good luck! And post a picture!

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:37 pm

thanks. Do you know if there is any grommet above the fork covers? The guzzino grommets are perfect, I can see exactly where they go below the fork covers.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:51 pm

The clutch should not be heavy. Most likely you have non standard levers with too great a distance between cable nipple and pivot. This is a very common mistake. Perhaps someone with some stock levers will give us the measurement.I guess it should be about 12mm.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=196#p1219
NOTE - Link added by DCT.Bob .

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 pm

I think Bevel Rubber makes the grommets and sell them to all the shops and Bevel Rubber sells direct via their on-line presence.

The stanchions should be a perfect fit between the upper and lower triple tree with the grommets on the top. Do you have more space than a grommet might use up? I am thinking on the order of 0.125" of clearance but I am guessing. The grommets just keep the tops of the headlight stanchions centered around the fork tube.

Also - The clutch pull to my thinking should be very easy. It is on the two 250s I have.

Could the clutch pack plates be lightly rusted together?

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:10 am

Bevel bob wrote:The clutch should not be heavy. Most likely you have non standard levers with too great a distance between cable nipple and pivot. This is a very common mistake. Perhaps someone with some stock levers will give us the measurement.I guess it should be about 12mm.

yes, they certainly are non-standard levers. Thank you very much. I will look for a standard lever.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:12 am

JimF wrote:I think Bevel Rubber makes the grommets and sell them to all the shops and Bevel Rubber sells direct via their on-line presence.

Also - The clutch pull to my thinking should be very easy. It is on the two 250s I have.

Could the clutch pack plates be lightly rusted together?

Thank you. I'll check Bevel Rubber. And I'll look at the clutch plates.

Thank you everyone for the great advice on this forum, I really appreciate it.

DewCatTea-Bob

Stiff Clutch-operation Remedies

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:36 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" The clutch is REALLY heavy. is this typical? "

____ Yes, it can be a common issue... as many can have the clutch-cable particularly routed for difficult operation,, and also, the activation-lever's angle (located behind the shifter-cover) can be maladjusted !
__ These aspects have already been well covered multiple times, and not too long ago as well ! _ Have you bothered to do any searches for such here ? _ Here follows a link to just one search-result which I found related to difficult clutch operation, but there are many other such thread-posts to be found related to this topic, as well ! - (Click-on
link) - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=369&p=2460&#p2460

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:50 am

Hi Bob,

very useful, much appreciated. As always, great advice on this forum. Sorry, I'll search a bit harder next time.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:49 am

Good luck with your search for orriginal levers. I gave up on that and found some cheap scrambler levers that looked nice (to me!) , they did not have the right leverage so i re-engineered them. They now look a bit rough but work great, I'm a bit of an oddball amongst single owners (i actually ride mine---Hi Nick!!) , so i'm not that bothered what anyone else thinks.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”