250 GT ca. 1964: some help needed

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Stiff Clutch-operation Remedies

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:32 pm

[quote= cooperplace ...
" very useful, much appreciated.
I'll search a bit harder "

____ I've since chosen to read & edit that old thread-post of mine, and-also added a link to it as well. _ So you may now find more related info of interest, on the topic.

____ Also,, your '64-GT is rather rare, and-so of a certain interest ! ...
If it's an actual pre-1966 model, then it's cyl.head should have the small 33mm-valve on both exhaust AND intake ports. _ So please confirm that yours is also as such, (if you ever remove the head).
__ And also, (without having to remove the head),, it would be of fairly strong interest, if you could possibly measure & report exactly what the GT-head's intake-port/inlet-mouth diameter actually is, cuz it's been reported to be different than that of any other 250-cyl.head-model, (and that rare detail would be nice to have confirmed !).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

cooperplace

Re: 250 GT ca. 1964: some help needed

Postby cooperplace » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your informative and interesting post. The bike is off with the frame guy, and I'll look carefully at it as soon as it's back. I can confirm that the spacing of the bolt centers on the inlet manifold is 50mm.
be nice, I'm not very bright.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:34 pm

by the way, the tyres need replacing. I would be very grateful for any recommendations for tyres that work well on this bike. It won't be raced or ridden very hard, but we live near some hills so it will see some corners.
Thanks.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 am

Hi Bob,
I just spoke to the guy whose shop the bikes is in and I made a mistake recalling the engine number. it starts 955 not 855. This makes it a 1966. So I now think it's a 1966 250 GT.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:59 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" I can confirm that the spacing of the bolt centers on the inlet manifold is 50mm. "

____ Right, as that's the case for all 175cc & larger OHC.cylinder-heads.

" I made a mistake recalling the engine number. it starts 955 not 855. "

____ It's too-bad that your GT motor-number is as new as 95500, cuz that makes it an early-66 model which means that it has an ordinary 250Monza-head (with 26.5mm inlet). _ And in-fact, I'm unaware of ANY difference between those two 1966-models, other than their name-decals.
If it's a real 'GT', then it's still much more rare than any Monza,, but if the original decals are gone, then it'd be hard to prove that it's not just a common Monza.
__ Got any pix of it ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 am

Bob, I think you're a 100% correct. I was looking at pics of the 250GT esp. the handlebars, but I remember being told that it has non-standard bars, so there's no info there. I will now assume it's a 250 Monza.

Many thanks Bob, I'm very glad we're having this conversation.

Cheers

Peter

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:31 am

[quote= cooperplace ...
" so there's no info there. I will now assume it's a 250 Monza. "

____ I forgot that when I stated 'decals', I should've also included 'sticker',, cuz if you have a made for USA model/version, then the frame-sticker should have 'GT' or 'Monza' stamped into it.
(When you had indicated you had a "GT", I then just assumed that you had already gotten that identification from the frame-sticker [seen behind of the headlamp, if still intact on the neck] ).

____ BTW,, considering your new-member status (and-also since you had previously stated "Sorry, I'll search a bit harder next time."),, I think it would be appropriate to get your opinion concerning whether a considered new feature for this w.site would possibly be of any worth-while use to such as yourself...
So if you can find time to check-out my sample*example of a (partial)- listing of links to most-all past posted forum-threads, (* which you can quickly find with this link... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1739&start=10#p12736 ),, then please post whatever you think about it's worthiness as a convenience-feature of any possible use to the likes of yourself (within THAT thread, please).

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Bob,

I've searched the frame long and hard looking for a number or a sticker or an ID plate or something telling me what bike it is. There's nothing anywhere on this frame, so I've been relying, poorly as it turns out, on matching the bike with the photos of different models as shown in the factory manual. So your expertise is especially useful and much appreciated. It seems some early Dukes didn't have frame numbers. I can buy a replacement frame ID plate but I must make damn sure I don't engrave it with any misleading info.

I will look at that other thread and offer an opinion. Basically my position is that if anyone is good enough to host and organize and moderate a useful forum, they have earned the right to set the rules.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu May 01, 2014 1:06 pm

[quote= cooperplace ...
" It seems some early Dukes didn't have frame numbers. "

____ I think none of the n-c.frames imported into the USA came with numbers other than those seen on their losable stickers.

" I can buy a replacement frame ID plate but I must make damn sure I don't engrave it with any misleading info. "

____ If only EVERYBODY were so FACTUALLY consistent ! ...
I kind-of think it's too-bad that blank sticker-plates have become available, as that has now made ALL sticker-plate data rather suspect these-days.

" Basically my position is that if anyone is good enough to host and organize and moderate a useful forum, they have earned the right to set the rules. "

____ That would be 'JimF' then, as he's the HEAD-honcho of this w.site ! _ (Tony & myself are merely those who Jim trusts to help-out.)
That's why I've asked for your-own opinion,, so as to help Jim decide if my particular endeavor is worth all the involved effort, (as only Jim-himself can make major-alterations to the main w.site-pages).

Hopeful-Cheers,
DCT-Bob

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Thu May 01, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't want this thread to go off on a tangent so let me just say:

Some people contribute a lot more than I do to this forum by sharing knowledge. Because I know so little about mechanical stuff and take so much knowledge from the membership my small contribution is to pay for the site. When I think about what I would have to pay and how far I would have to travel to find a qualified expert for my 50 year old motorcycles this forum is a bargain.

We that ask questions are extremely grateful to those that know the answers and selflessly take the time to write down and share their knowledge with us.

The forum is not mine, it's ours. This forum would have absolutely no value if not for everyone of its members. I am sincerely thankful that with a membership of several hundred individuals we have managed to tolerate and respect each other particularly when we dispute things. As yet I haven't had to censor or banish anyone. I think that speaks volumes about this forum's members.

Enough of this. Let's get back on topic.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”