Tachometer drive oil leak

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Tachometer drive oil leak

Postby graeme » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:00 am

Hello, can anyone tell me the size of the seal in the late model tacho drive please?
I've sent all my tools and parts away in a container and just kept a '74 scrambler to get to work and back. (moving house) If I take the seal out to measure I don't have alternate transport to pick up a new seal.
Thank you

Graeme

LaceyDucati

Re: Tachometer drive oil leak

Postby LaceyDucati » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Graeme

8/12/3 for the later boxes

Regards Nigel

graeme

Postby graeme » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Thank you very much Nigel.

Regards
Graeme

m82a1

Postby m82a1 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:35 am

Getting the roll pin out is the trick without damaging the unit. One technique I have found successful is to run a small drill bit down the center of the roll pin and drill a pilot hole through to the inside of the tach drive. Then drill the final hole from the inside using your pilot hole as the guide large enough to use a punch from the inside to tap the roll pin most of the way out. You can use a deep socket over the roll pin while gently tapping from the inside. Since you leave the roll pin partially in the hole, tapping it back in straight is no issue. A little dap of sealant on the inside seals the small hole. Servicing next time will be a breeze.

After doing a number of these, I find this to be the most consistently successful approach.

Ken
Ken R
1966 Mark 3 (the never ending restoration)
1965 Mark 3 (still in pieces)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”