350 Cafe Bevel & Howdy

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

J0n3s

350 Cafe Bevel & Howdy

Postby J0n3s » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:14 am

Hey guys, I've just joined, just got my 350 Bevel and I'm from London.

I don't know anything about the bikes history other than it came from a collection in Arizona and auctioned off. It's a 350 valve spring with Cerani GP forks, a Suzuki 4LS front brake, Borani rims. Engine No: Dm350 - 13333 ----- Frame No: 350S - 353777 DGM7736 -OM

What's wrong: wiring hacked all over the place, no ignition get up, no lighting or instruments, fibreglass fuel tank is stuffed and so on.

First tasks, convert to 12v and electronic ignition, new tank and tail piece, lighting and interments. Plenty of to do. Happy to listen to suggestions and advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nick

Re: 350 Cafe Bevel & Howdy

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:32 am

Super nice. Totally digging the patina action there, please don't tart it up.

They make interior coatings for fibre tanks, and re-wiring shouldn't be too much trouble. If it was a race bike and you plan on riding it on the street a bit less compression might contribute to a happier relationship. Ditto with the carb / cam. If she's a peaky bugger a smaller bore carby and milder cam might be in order.

Either way, great find and keep us posted.
Put a Mikuni on it!

gtrench

Postby gtrench » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:58 am

Very cool project! It doesn't look too bad as-is. Front end looks awesome....I think it's Betor (or Redwing?) though. Have fun!
-Gabe

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:02 am

Welcome to this forum

your bike started out as a scrambler ( top shock mount is in a diff position )

fork is not a Ceriani GP . tripple clamps are Std Scrambler for sure

Eldert

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:45 am

Looks like you have the beginnings of a fun machine.
My own 350 started life as a SCR model too. I learned not to trust the steering's ability to self correct, when I crashed due to a tank slapper brought on by a minor road irregularity.
I'm confident of it again, after fitting an hydraulic steering damper. I think the shortened front forks were the culprit, changing the trail geometry. I just mention it as something to be wary of.
How is the gearbox selector lubricated on yours? It looks like it's been ventilated somewhat.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:23 am

i think Gabe is correct about the forks . they look like Red Wings

have a look at E Bay item nr 351046840848

however Red Wing fork stanchions are 34 mm and the Scrambler tripple clamps are 35 mm
i wonder how they fixed that problem .

Eldert

StewartD

Postby StewartD » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:49 am

Jordan,

My late model 450 had the tendency to go into wild tank slappers, even after I installed an hydraulic steering damper. It only happened on corrugated dirt roads though, never on bitumen. I never solved the problem. It was very scary when it happened, and I had a death grip on the bars for about the next half an hour. After I had relaxed a bit, it would happen again. Clip on handlebars didn't help much either!

Cheers,

Stewart D

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 am

Hi Stewart, what sort of 450 ?
Hello JOn, that's a nice 350, can you post some more pictures?
Extended clutch lever and cable holder is interesting, it must be a light clutch?
Graeme

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:29 am

StewartD wrote:My late model 450 had the tendency to go into wild tank slappers, even after I installed an hydraulic steering damper. It only happened on corrugated dirt roads though, never on bitumen.

I didn't know there was a handling issue with late singles.
I rode a late, disc braked single only once, and it seemed more stable than earlier models.
I assumed that was because it had more trail, which looked likely because the triple clamps had less offset. More trail usually means more stability.
Still, it was only a short ride and I didn't encounter any bumpy surfaces on the tarred road.

StewartD

Postby StewartD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 am

F1210002.jpg

Hi Graeme, Jordan,

I never had a problem on the bitumen with the handling. It was on extended trips on the corrugated out back roads. I did 3 trips to the northern Flinders Ranges in the 1980s. I think the distance between the corrugations and speed of the bike sometimes resulted in a vibration that coincided with the natural frequency of the steering.

The photo is of the 450 at the Alpine Rally (near Canberra) on the Queen's birthday weekend in June.

Cheers,
Stewart D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”