Little oil leak on the top bevel shaft housing

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Rocla

Re: Little oil leak on the top bevel shaft housing

Postby Rocla » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:13 am

I see, I see...

It seems that, in a way, such Ducati engines were still custom made, not entirely achieved, and too much depending on the setting up and the mechanics skills! It is a pleasure for us, because we are aware of the risks (the evil is in every detail in a Ducati mono) but it is clear you cannot rely on the Ducati garage. It is too tricky for them, by far :D

I don't know if you remember the topic when I've presented the mod I've implemented on my Scrambler engine housing in order to avoid dismounting the whole engine just for removing the bottom bevel gears? Just for 2cmx4cm metal, you can't remove this bottom bevel gear without dismantling the whole engine (housings, crankshaft, gear box and clutch). It is a big design error (and of course, since this mod, I've had no problem, because it is obvious that so huge metal quantity is not usefull around these bevel gears). I guess that during the fifthies or sixties (when the first version of this engine was designed), the designer was like a king, and expressed himself without taking into account final costs and service issues...

Once again, such motoscrub forum is very very usefull.

Rocla

Re: Little oil leak on the top bevel shaft housing

Postby Rocla » Mon May 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello again,

Following this thread, I've solved the leak on the top bevel shaft gear in adding a second seal! You can see on the picture here below, the guenuine seal in black and the additionnal one (brand new) un green color. Given the bevel shaft tube is fixed both on the bevel gear bearings and the head cylinder, I've decided to put a second seal and to bet this seal will be squeezed and borrow the exact required space. And as a result, there is no leak at all. The picture here below has been taken after a 245 km trip (yesterday, on Sunday). The seal is just a little beat oily, but without either drop nor projection.

All that stuff proves that there is probably a kind of design error: when a part (the bevel shaft tube) has to match 2 other parts (the bearing on one side, and the seal at the same time), there are always risks of leak or squashing...

Dsc05688A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”