Monza 160 Magneto removal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DougW

Monza 160 Magneto removal

Postby DougW » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:55 pm

I need to remove the magneto on a 1966 Monza 160. I believe I will need the smaller size puller and a clutch basket holder (any good sources for those?). Are the nuts on the magneto and clutch regular right-handed threads? Also, do I need a special puller to remove the clutch basket and thus the magneto?

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Monza 160 Magneto removal

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:14 am

[quote= Doug ...
" I believe I will need the smaller size puller "

____ Yes, that's correct.

" and a clutch basket holder "

____ You could rather-instead lock-up the transmission, to get both primary-nuts loose.

" Are the nuts on the magneto and clutch regular right-handed threads? "

____ Yes, those primary-nuts are both rather normal.

" do I need a special puller to remove the clutch basket "

____ No,, as the basket-drum & hub will both slide out & off by hand, (after their retaining-nut is removed) !

____ Don't forget to make yourself a flywheel/rotor-timing reference-mark, before pulling-off your alt.rotor.
__ So why are you considering this "removal" work ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Msbmfg.com offers both sizes (N/C and W/C) flywheel pullers. I believe they also sell them on ebay. I sell a clutch holding tool that fits the 250/350 singles but I’ve never had the opportunity to try it on a 160. I suspect it uses a smaller clutch.

DougW

Postby DougW » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:16 pm

Bob and diamond, thanks for the input. Got the puller from mbsmfg- decent price- Doug

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”