SQL errors

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Re: SQL errors

Postby JimF » Thu May 29, 2014 12:13 am

I am hopeful we will get a member with professional web credentials that can cast some light on this problem.

The web host seems to think the problem is not with them.

It could be the phpBB software, though I would think they would be quick to fix a bug and other forums built around phpBB don't seem to be seeing the problem.

It could also have something to do with the way our browsers interact with the the forum.

Jim

machten

Postby machten » Thu May 29, 2014 7:27 am

Jim,

I used to be an IT techo, but these days I'm "management" and my techo people say my technical license has been withdrawn. Our business is centred around high end enterprises which don't really use this type of database software, so they are not much help to us.

There's a fair bit of info on this problem here though:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=28359

I've done some reading and it appears most likely to be an issue on the host side of things. You may wish to suggest to them (looks like the domain address is hosted by Hostway Corp, right?) they consider the following contained in the url above:

"I have worked-around the problem by increasing the connect_timeout global variable to 30 seconds. What I do not yet know is why the login is taking over 5 seconds."

MySQL themselves subsequently increased the timeout default from 5 seconds to 10 seconds in recognition of the issue.

regards,

Kev

machten

Postby machten » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:40 am

Hi Jim,

I got the timeout error a number of times this afternoon and timed how long the error message took to come up. It was 5 - 6 seconds, so I suspect they are still using the old default timeout period.

regards,

Kev

machten

Postby machten » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Jim,

Experienced a lot more today with the 5 second timeout. I've had no response from you so far, so I assume no further assistance is required.

Kev

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 pm

____ A curious-thing I've possibly discovered but still am not too sure of, (so-thus I hadn't yet bothered to mention here before),, is that whenever I happen to encounter an episode of that dreaded error-page continually insisting on showing-up (instead of an expected page),
I seem to have found that instead of simply clicking-on the page-turn/progression button/link with a normal/quick down&release-action of the mouse-button,
if I rather hold-down the mouse-button for an extra bit of time -(however the exact length of time has not-yet been pinned-down exactly), and-then release it instantly followed-up with a rather quick second mouse-click, (thus resulting as a sort-of 'double-click'),, I then avoid getting the error-page again and rather proceed onward to the expected intended-page !!
__ Of-course I do realize that this strange procedure seems like 'wackery', (and that's why I haven't related it sooner) ! _ BUT-yet it has worked fairly-well for me well beyond the odds of mere coincidence, (yet may still possibly be some kind of freaky-coincidence),, so I'm led to suspect that there may actually be something valid with that rather time-spread double-click procedure.
__ My strange clicking-procedure rather seems likely to-be just BS,, but I've now been inspired to mention it, so as to learn if anyone-else could possibly experience my inexplicable fortunate*luck with it, (* which I must admit has been less than 100% !).
So if anyone-else bothers to give it a try-out, then please report your success-rate with it. ...
My suggested clicking-method should only be tried-out at the times when normal mouse-button clicking repeatedly yields only the error-page,, and then a successful-emulation of my suggested clicking-method may then-next possibly work for you as well.
For instance... when-ever I've happened to have run-ins with the quirky/stubborn error-page over&over repeatedly (3 or more times in a row) when using normal/quick mouse-clicks,
my first-try with my slowed-down non-hasty/patient double-click will THEN (more often than not !) NEXT open the INTENDED page ! - (STRANGE as that may be !)
Please give it a try for yourself (next time ya run-into a session of error-page encounters).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

PS. I pretty-much feel like a fool for posting this probable-crap (before I've become fully certainly-sure), so-thus I may delete this post ! - (But hopefully not before there's been sufficient time for someone-else to confirm my-own found positive-results.)
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 am

Bob,
I've noticed that too, and not just on this page's issue, but any slow responding web page responds quicker ( on my smart phone in particular) comes up quicker after a double request...
I have limited knowlege in these matters, but I wonder if somehow it's manipulating the time-out window?

Bruce

DewCatTea-Bob

'THE-issue' with SQL-errors

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:35 pm

[quote= ecurbruce ...
" I've noticed that too, and not just on this page's issue, "

____ Nice ! _ I really hadn't expected anyone-else to have already noticed such all on their-own.
However I had expected to be asked how I had come to discover my rather "patient" clicking-method to be of any possible help...
__ And my*method had long-ago been developed for when I had to deal with seemingly unresponsive normal-like mouse-clicks on window/page-buttons, (rather than only web-page buttons). ...
Back with old Win.2000-PCs (which had-not been freshly booted-up),, I'd often notice that a normal/quick single-click on a window/page-button would seem to be ignored as if it hadn't even been done, (and also experienced the same non-result if quickly double-clicked). _ So in certain attempt to make-sure that the PC was more definitely getting my button-click actually registered into command-status, I'd then *slow-down & hold-down the mouse-button (whilst held over the intended-action page-button) for a leisurely second, and THEN-after allow finishing the release portion of the single-click,, in order to finally continue-onward & achieve the expected progression-action.
And since I had found that that rather patient clicking-method often helped to get the PC to respond sooner with IT's-own workings,, I thus-then naturally tried-out variants of that methodology against THE-issue which we've been experiencing here (with the pesky error-page hassle), and seemed to also get satisfactional results against that as well.
So I'm suspecting that THE-issue is possibly a COMBO of happenstance-times when the web-server AND one's involved PC are BOTH happening to be somewhat tempermental at the same-time for a spell, and-so can't exactly agree upon a single time-window exchange-point, (which may be why many multiple attempts [with normal mouse-clicking] can finally chance to get-through).

" comes up quicker after a double request... "

____ Do you mean to indicate that you've also successfully addressed THE-issue with a rather simple 'double-click', as well ?
__ (I've found that hasty multiple-clicking leads to WORSE troubles [with getting my PC to properly exchange with the web-server] !)

" I wonder if somehow it's manipulating the time-out window? "

____ That's along the lines of what I-also began pondering, after reading Kev's post,, (which is what inspired me to sooner post my-own findings, before I thought it prudent to go-ahead & do so).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Bob says;"
____ Do you mean to indicate that you've also successfully addressed THE-issue with a rather simple 'double-click', as well ?
__ (I've found that hasty multiple-clicking leads to WORSE troubles [with getting my PC to properly exchange with the web-server] !) "

I'm not exactly sure what's happening, but it seems like a request and partial load, then before it has time to "time out", I request it again. So it's not a quick double click, but a little hesitation between while I watch the first load stalling...
It doesn't always work, either...

What I find more successful than anything else (although not 100%) is to clear my memory cache, delete cookies, turn off computer,(or restart), then MOST times I can access the page
Bruce

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”