1966 Mach 1 basement find

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

flynbulldog

Re: 1966 Mach 1 basement find

Postby flynbulldog » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:20 am

Is this what you call the "swift" design?

Oddly, the decal on my tank looks very much like an original water-slide decal with the correct cutout of the clear portion. But it does show signs of a repaint on the underside of the tank that may or may not be factory deficiencies of the day. I also wonder why I have a Diana seat. that was not what I believed to be the double seat option given with the Mach1. Even though it is an original Ducati seat it is most likely not the seat that originally came with this bike (but you never know, I suppose it is possible)

The bike above is not 100% correct either with its alloy wheels and chrome shifter parts. But that is the seat I thought to be the 2 place option for the M1.
Last edited by flynbulldog on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 am

In the UK the Mach 1 is prized and priced above all others. There is a great temptation to " restore" one into existence. My Mark3 is always recognized as a Mach1!!. If the motor has proper M1 stampings I would not question its pedigree. I would not consider using the M1 kickstart ,gearchange or footrests as they are too uncomfortable in use for an older rider.

flynbulldog

Postby flynbulldog » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Bevel bob wrote:In the UK the Mach 1 is prized and priced above all others. There is a great temptation to " restore" one into existence. My Mark3 is always recognized as a Mach1!!. If the motor has proper M1 stampings I would not question its pedigree. I would not consider using the M1 kickstart ,gearchange or footrests as they are too uncomfortable in use for an older rider.

Bob, I have absolutely no doubt about the bike's pedigree - it is unquestionably the real deal. Mine will not be restored the way we all expect these days except to be cleaned and to put the original parts back on it.
I have bikes that are far less comfortable than this little guy and I seem to manage - to me the very small discomfort of the correct parts is well worth the visual pleasure of the bike in it's original form.

machten

Postby machten » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:39 pm

Mine will not be restored the way we all expect these days except to be cleaned and to put the original parts back on it.

Welcome to the fold...

Kev

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Atttached are some pics of my Mach 1, before and after, coincidence has it that this bike also came from the same dealership as yours and was owned and sold to me by one of the mechanics who worked at Harrys motors in Denver back in the 60s. He told me that when this bike arrived he was tasked with removing it from its packing crate and it was lust at first sight-he then bought the bike.

I bought the bike on its merits of having the correct engine and frame numbers, however, the bike was a mess when it arrived into the UK so I really had no option but to do a complete restoration.

For some reason this bike came with the frame downtube stamped and also the tin foil on the headstock.

I have converted the bike to European spec, original parts were almost impossible to find but I persevered. I had a Mach 1 when I was sixteen years old (a long time ago) so this brought back some fond memories for me.

I've acquired another three M1s, these are in far better condition than this bike was initially so im hoping to get them back up and running with out the glossy look!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krupp13

Postby krupp13 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm

I must say between Flynbulldog, Machten and nalimugmug there are some fantastic bikes. I was lucky enough to buy a parts stash a few years ago sigh unseen and unknowingly ended up with a Mach 1 engine, frame, toolboxes, tank, headlight and fenders. Unfortunately, all the had to find parts that Flynbulldog showed on his lift were not there. I am becoming much more of a purist and do not want to use reproduction parts, but finding the correct parts have proven to be fruitless. I do not believe my frame is stamped, but the motor is in the 00500's range if my memory is correct.

I know I speak for many on this forum and would enjoy progress pics from all those working on projects like these.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 pm

Krupp, Is this frame you acquired painted red? Do the tool boxes have “Mach 1” decals on them?

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:20 pm

Nice find! I have an original, Berliner tagged M1 that came with the exact same early Diana seat.
1970 450 Jupiter

machten

Postby machten » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 pm

THat is some collection of M1's!!!! I'm in awe!

Kev

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Speaking of M1 parts, there appears to be an original smooth top steering crown on eBay right now: item number 291105995259.

The same seller is also selling the short headlight stanchions: Item number 291106034156

Jim

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”