diana mark 3 wiring

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

machten

Re: diana mark 3 wiring

Postby machten » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi All,

Firstly, let me echo Paul's thanks for everyone's info. I was rushing with my last post....and am still doing so, but there is small gap tonight so, at the risk of making the same or similar mistakes, let me see if I can expand a few things (some of which may have been superseded by later posts, but perhaps worthy of clarification anyway) ...

Just so everyone understands the relationships:

1. Paul (aka Hobby) is a good friend of mine and I am helping him preparing this Ducati 250 Diana Mark III (note that DCT-Bob! ;) ) for the 2014 Moto Giro d'Italia.

As some further info:

The engine has been rebuilt by another local good friend of both of ours who used to spanner in his own Ducati shop. HE also owned Bruno Spaggiari's 1972 Imola bike (yes, that very one) back in the late seventies and early eighties.

In answer to DCT-Bob's earlier question, the kick start shaft was missing too, but I personally am not aware of what was in it's place. Paul has offered that the previous owner removed the k/s and if he did, then he removed the shaft (and even the disengagement ramp) too.

I do understand the Mark III/Mark 3 nuances and I'll try to train myself better, but bear in mind that this distinction (whilst valid) seems to me to be predominately a US one and the rest of the world. (where I am) had a more "relaxed" nomenclature for the variances.

DCT Bob Said -

__ As for ALSO keeping your battery from discharging,, all you'd need to add is a couple of power-diodes, so as to separate & steer the neg & pos halves of the AC.power between the ign.system & the battery. _ That way, a significant portion of the power that's otherwise WASTED by the ign.system, can instead be utilized to keep the battery voltage-level well charged-up ! _ A real no-brainer, actually !

Yep. And I totally agree. The issue right now for Paul is that we have to get this Duke sorted this weekend in order to get it registered locally and then crated up and sent to Italy for the 2014 Giro. 5 weeks shipping, God knows how long in Italian customs. The upshot of that is that we are forced into an immeidate expediancey, but may be able to deal with nicities later. In summary - we'll be implementing an electrical system tomorrow that will get us through West Australian registration next week. So It will be minimialist.

" This is the bike that ran the ignition system through the tail light with a small switch in case the tail light blew. "

____ NO, it is NOT ! -(Providing that your alt/mag.stator is actually the older/two-wire model.) _ As THAT Mark-III model just came with THREE wire-leads ! _ As IT needed a way to also power an added brake-light circuit.

I agree, Bob. Not sure where Paul got that from, and his two-wire does not have the switch, nor any native capacity for a brake light.

" (and I'm an IT guy and know how to use search engines) "

____ Then you seem to be someone good to ask about why many search-engines will (stupidly!) round-up EXCESSIVE-results which also individually includes the finding-result for each & EVERY single solitary word entered within their search-box, all independently,, instead of JUST results which includes ONLY that of ALL the words combined & entered !?

I'll come back to you on that later, but don't expect a lot of good news!!!

" I have trolled the internet on quite a few occasions now, and can find no such wiring diagram anywhere. "

____ Before considering all that work, you should've asked here FIRST !
Then we ALL may've sooner been made aware of the FABULOUS-example of an early Mark-III (which YOU already knew-of).
Or have we already indeed seen this particular example posted before ? _ As I seem to recall wondering whether-if such an installed front-fender is an actual stock early Mark-III part or not,, (cuz it could possibly be, [I suppose],, that it too, [along-with the headlamp, etc.], was borrowed-over from the preexisting Motocross model-line).

I'm pretty much certain that I've posted pics before. I actually did try to find them and just point at the earlier post, with no success. (This should give you some indication of the disappointment coming regarding the previous point!)

" I also understand that this model was only sold in the USA. "

____ Of that I'm not really sure of either,, but it's also as well been my-own understanding that the original bare-bones Mark-III version was only made just for Berliner, and-thusly imported only into the U.S.

That's my understanding as well.

" I have now figured out the wiring so this weekend it's testing time to see if all works. "

____ By "all", do you then also have a stock handlebar-switch to connect-up along-with the rest of the minimal stock wiring ?
The rest of us here only have that 450-scheme diagram you posted to consult,, so when you say you have figured-out the wiring, we're left to assume that you intend to power the taillight-filament,(LED) with the same power-source as the headlight will be powered by.
And if so, it would be of certain interest to learn of how well your tail-LED performs with the stock AC.power setup.
So could you please elaborate on this matter ?

Just to clarify a misunderstanding... the headlight, high beam and tail light will be powered by the stock "magneto" system. This will be wired through to a CEV three position (plus horn button) switch.

Only the horn and the brake light (which were never part of the original system) will be seperately powered by a 12V battery with earth circuits returned to the battery (not the frame). The brake light only is LED. The tail light and headlight circuit is stock off the "magneto".

Hopefully all will go well tomorrow!.

Kev

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:14 pm

[quote= machten ...
" I am helping him preparing this Ducati 250 Diana Mark III (note that DCT-Bob! ;) ) "

____ Thanks for that Kev, and for caring to be on-board with such recognition !
__ I strongly believe that it's reasonably important to help keep straight all the detailable differences between the various Diana-line model-versions. _ As otherwise continued confusion between the original 'Diana-250' and the distinctive 'Mark-III' & 'Mark-3' model-versions, will continue-on leading to name-recognition misunderstanding.
BTW,, by the time the wide-case Mark-3 version replaced the n-c.version, the 'Diana' name-designation was dropped.

" In answer to DCT-Bob's earlier question, the kick start shaft was missing too, but I personally am not aware of what was in it's place. Paul has offered that the previous owner removed the k/s and if he did, then he removed the shaft (and even the disengagement ramp) too. "

____ So NOW it seems that we may possibly be back to once-again wondering whether the original bare-bones USA.type Mark-III rarer-only versions were factory-produced without any ks.parts. (?)
Of-course it seems logical that any serious concern for making a racer as light as possible,, would not-only dispense with the external kick-lever and the ks.shaft/driver-gear, but also the driven-ks.gear & ALL other internal ks.parts (no matter how small), as well !
__ Concerning the particular bare-bones Mark-III which I had encountered,, I can only assume one way or the other whether-or-not any of it's internal ks.parts were also missing, as the only state of disassembled-state I had ever seen it's motor in, was with it's cyl.head removed (due-to stripped s.plug-thread repair-work).

" I do understand the Mark III/Mark 3 nuances
, but bear in mind that this distinction (whilst valid) seems to me to be predominately a US one and the rest of the world. (where I am) had a more "relaxed" nomenclature for the variances. "

____ While the variance between 'III' & '3' alone, is relaxed pretty-much by most everyone,, the model-parts variances between the Mark-3 & Mark-III Diana-versions, are really TOO-great to be so easily ignored ! ...
As compared to the Mark-III, the Mark-3's top-end sports a hotter cyl.head with larger in.port, larger valves & valve-seats, and hotter camshaft, and-also a different piston -( 9.8:1 c.r. vs 10:1) !
Not to also mention likewise-noteworthy bodywork-parts (such as tool-boxes, etc.) !

" and then crated up and sent to Italy for the 2014 Giro. 5 weeks shipping, "

____ However exciting it could possibly be to be over-there with one's-own prized Duke, there's absolutely NO-way (known on this Earth) that I-MYSELF would EVER consider putting such a beautiful & RARE original Mark-III through such potential peril, no-matter how low the risk may seem !

" I'm pretty much certain that I've posted pics before. I actually did try to find them and just point at the earlier post, with no success. "

____ It seems we both were right ! ...
You must've meant this... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1323#p9023

" Just to clarify a misunderstanding... the headlight, high beam and tail light will be powered by the stock "magneto" system.
Only the horn and the brake light
will be seperately powered by a 12V battery
The brake light only is LED. The tail light and headlight circuit is stock off the "magneto". "

____ Okay, I'm now fairly clear on the intended electrical-system.
That entire arrangement should work just fine !
__ I think my misunderstanding was possibly due-to confusion between the two posted words of 'tail' & 'brake', which had somewhere been previously-posted regarding the rear-lamp's lighting. _ So, (as similar to Jim's-own LED.setup), I guess I must've assumed that both the tail AND brake lights were BOTH to be emanated from the same LED.setup substituted for the stock single-filament bulb, (as I was unaware that there was actually enough room within that rather small tail-lamp for the added LED.setup AND also the stock light-setup as well).
It's pretty-nice that such a modification could so possibly be accomplished within that relatively small stock lamp !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

machten

Postby machten » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:01 pm

" I'm pretty much certain that I've posted pics before. I actually did try to find them and just point at the earlier post, with no success. "

____ It seems we both were right ! ...

Well found, Bob! That provides me with further incentive to explore further the search options, as I coudn't find it!

I guess I must've assumed that both the tail AND brake lights were BOTH to be emanated from the same LED.setup substituted for the stock single-filament bulb, (as I was unaware that there was actually enough room within that rather small tail-lamp for the added LED.setup AND also the stock light-setup as well).
It's pretty-nice that such a modification could so possibly be accomplished within that relatively small stock lamp !

It is certainly tight in that tiny tail light, Bob, but a small LED strip for a brake light can just be accommodated and the brightness is very good. The battery for that circuit is stored out of view under the seat.

Anyway, we got the wiring done today and all seems well with just a few minor cosmetic things to tidy up after we verified operation. Ignition spark from the "magneto" is excellent - a very healthy blue spark even at low speed hand rotations.

We have a few issues with the kickstart engagement slipping even though we've installed the later modification. It may well be the disengagement ramp we had to make up. Paul got a genuine one from Nigel as outlined in the thread found by DCT Bob. We'll put that ramp in there on Tuesday night and check it out.

The 18 degree AAU seems to be working fine, but we're yet to do any serious tuning effort and didn't take the RPM up much today.

We used Paul's race starter and fired her up. Here's a short video of it ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQ6iwfqHRQ

Once again, thanks to all for your advice.

Kev

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:30 pm

[quote= machten ...
Well found, Bob! That provides me with further incentive to explore further the search options, as I coudn't find it!
____ Actually Kev, (as I've somewhat already indicated),, I haven't been much content with our search-engine's unfortunate tendency to just slim-down our large bail-of-hay merely down-to a whole-bunch of smaller bails of hay, to then still have to sort-through. _ So I didn't even use it to find that other thread !
Rather,, once I was reminded that it was YOU who had posted the other Mark-III pix, I instead simply sifted-through only the list of JUST your postings submitted in the first-half of 2013,, which thus-then made MY-search rather more tuned, and thusly simplified.
That kind of alternate searching, is that which I-myself use more-so than our-own search-engine.

" It is certainly tight in that tiny tail light, Bob, but a small LED strip for a brake light can just be accommodated "

____ It would be sort-of nice to see a pic showing the resulted lighting-arrangement within.

" The battery for that circuit is stored out of view under the seat. "

____ Nice but, then it must be rather small,, what kind of 12v.battery is it ?

" we got the wiring done today and all seems well
Ignition spark from the "magneto" is excellent -
even at low speed "

____ Pretty-simple to get all-done, too,, right ?
__ So was the headlight also found to be well sufficient at low-RPM, as well ?

" We have a few issues with the kickstart engagement slipping even though we've installed the later modification. "

____ You must be referring-to the coil-spring setup, right ?

" It may well be the disengagement ramp we had to make up. "

____ Could it be that it's lift-ramp was left made too-thick ?

" The 18 degree AAU seems to be working fine, but we're yet to do any serious tuning effort "

____ Static-advance is supposed to be set to about 22-degrees before TDC.
But even with the AAU added, it's still good-practice to continue using the proper starting-routine ! _ Are you guys very well familiar with that ?

Fun-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 pm

machten wrote: We used Paul's race starter and fired her up. Here's a short video of it ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQ6iwfqHRQ

Nice! "Go, Paul!" :)

machten

Postby machten » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 pm

From DCT-Bob...

____ Actually Kev, (as I've somewhat already indicated),, I haven't been much content with our search-engine's unfortunate tendency to just slim-down our large bail-of-hay merely down-to a whole-bunch of smaller bails of hay, to then still have to sort-through. _ So I didn't even use it to find that other thread !

I had a little play around today with searching on this site and discovered a few things I wasn't aware of that made searching this site easier. Most others may well be so, but I'll write up a thread when I get a chance.

____ It would be sort-of nice to see a pic showing the resulted lighting-arrangement within.

If time permits I'll take a pic and post it. Like I said, we're under the hammer, but if I can, I will.

" The battery for that circuit is stored out of view under the seat. "

____ Nice but, then it must be rather small,, what kind of 12v.battery is it ?

It's a gel cloth battery. I'll take a pic also under the above constraints.

" we got the wiring done today and all seems well
Ignition spark from the "magneto" is excellent -
even at low speed "

____ Pretty-simple to get all-done, too,, right ?

Yes. Fairly basic although I would have liked a better selection of colour coded wires (and higher gauge (smaller diameter) particularly for entering the three position switch) - but we had what we had - limited to 5 colours.

__ So was the headlight also found to be well sufficient at low-RPM, as well ?

It looked OK, but we were outside in strong summer daylight at the time. We can assess better tomorrow night.

" We have a few issues with the kickstart engagement slipping even though we've installed the later modification. "
____ You must be referring-to the coil-spring setup, right ?

" It may well be the disengagement ramp we had to make up. "
____ Could it be that it's lift-ramp was left made too-thick ?

Yes and ....yes, we suspect the same.

" The 18 degree AAU seems to be working fine, but we're yet to do any serious tuning effort "
____ Static-advance is supposed to be set to about 22-degrees before TDC.

Yep...had it on 15 for first fire up and now we've set it at 20 for the moment. It can be advanced after the engine has an hour or two on it, but yes, understand the target setting of 22. I like to be a little conservative on advance settings on first fire up.

But even with the AAU added, it's still good-practice to continue using the proper starting-routine ! _ Are you guys very well familiar with that ?

Yep. 30 years of ownership has taught me a few things. I won't claim to have learned early, but you heal quickly when you're young. I'm good at it now ;)

Kev

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:26 pm

[quote="machten ...
" If time permits I'll take a pic and post it. "

____ It's really not too important to bother with, since very-FEW others have that same small tail-lamp.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

hobby

Postby hobby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Gents I have admitted defeat on this project on getting this Diana Mark 111 ready for Italy. After a lot of blood sweat and tears from my mates and myself, we have not been able to fix the kick start problem. We now think that the two gears that mesh are from different models. The kickstart lever keeps slipping and the gears not engaging fully. So out comes the yellow 450 desmo and I will have to send that one instead. Many thanks to my friends Kevin, George, Marco and peter for helping me try and get her ready in time. Alas defeated.

Electric seems all solved bar a few minor issues which can be fixed.

Anyone that has a good condition kick start meshing gear, I would love to hear from you. I also wonder if anyone knows how many mm of contact these gears should have. Currently mine on,y mesh about 1.3mm which seem too little to us.

Kev has taken some photos of the led set up in the taillight for those interested and will no doubt publish these. It work great and just fits nicely in the small tail light housing just in the reflector part pointing downwards. The led came from the US and comes in a strip of 4 segments which I cut in half and re soldered the wires to. Very tiny indeed but bright as hell and uses bugger all power. Tip, use the protective cover that comes with it as it makes a nice snug fit between the lens and the inner plate work. When it lights up it shows 4 small red dots of light horizontally across the lens.

Paul

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:19 pm

[quote= hobby ...
" I have admitted defeat on this project on getting this Diana Mark 111 ready for Italy. "

____ First, thanks for your attempt to correctly refer to your Mark-three as a Mark III, however "Mark 111" is pretty-much as off-mark as Mark !!! or the like would be. _ So I hope your attempt was just a mere typo.
__ I-myself think it's a good-thing that you're not going to become separated from your RARE Duke by sending it far-away (where who-knows what unfortunate-fate may possibly happen to it).

" we have not been able to fix the kick start problem. We now think that the two gears that mesh are from different models. "

____ I well recall that Ducati had produced at-least three different (non-compatible) sets of matched driver & driven ks.gears, (for the years before the totally different w-c.version replaced all such n-c.type ks.parts).
Is it possible that any of your ks.parts did-not originally come along-with your particular motor's bottom-end ? _ As perhaps you've been trying to fit-together some odd n-c/5-speed ks.part together with your 4-speed type ks.version, or something the like.
__ How about posting some pix (for us all to see) of most all of the ks.parts which you've been trying to work with ? _ (As back in the '70s, I was then quite well acquainted with ALL the various n-c.type kick-start arrangements [which Ducati had tried to make work] !)

" The kickstart lever keeps slipping and the gears not engaging fully.
I also wonder if anyone knows how many mm of contact these gears should have. Currently mine on,y mesh about 1.3mm which seem too little to us. "

____ I assume you're actually referring to the meshing of the engagement-teeth between the driven-ks.gear and their counterpart teeth located on the left-side of 1st.gear ? ...
I believe that those sets of teeth should be able to fully engage near 100%.
__ How about posting pix showing close-up shot-views of the gear-teeth in question ? _ (But that and all the other related ks.stuff, ought-to be done in another thread.)

____ Not that I'm on-board with getting everything set so you can then ship-away your Mark-III,, but why is it so important to even have a kick-start setup installed, when it may be possible that your early Mk.III model-version may've never even originally came with such ks.parts ?
__ Can you explain what all substitute parts were found in your bottom-end (when you first acquired your Mark-III), that were installed in place of any ks.parts which you've since tried to install ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

hobby

Postby hobby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:53 am

When I bought the bike there was no KS on it at all. I decided I wanted to start riding the bike and as such commenced to make the bike road worthy. I was given the now installed KS assembly through a friend in the US who said it was for a 250 narrows case. Some bits were missing I found out later such as the ramp plate etc. I also changed the original NC style spring system to the later more reliable coil spring system. I fitted all new springs in case the old ones were worn.

When I pull the unit apart again I will make some pics for you to see. It did look like that the shape of the teeth on the two meshing gears were not the same shape. One more pointy teeth while the other more flat teeth. This is what makes me think there might be different model gears perhaps. They do not look worn as such but just different way they machined the teeth. It looks as if the teeth will not mesh deep enough into each other. Only 1.3mm which seems wrong.

other changes I have had to make is to bend the kick start lever to miss the brake lever and foot peg as I dropped the foot peg positions for my long legs. Brake mounting system had to be made up etc. Its all not standard but its all reversible and better than it sitting in the shed and not enjoying it.

I have no problems riding rare bikes. I rode my 74 green frame through Italy also. Just a different opinion I guess.

Paul

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”