Help with fitting a sidestand to a widecase

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Help with fitting a sidestand to a widecase

Postby Ventodue » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Every now and then I think about fitting a sidestand to my Vento (they didn't come with them originally. But you know ... ;) ).

However, I'm aware that not all wide-case sidestands were created equal :o . I know that there were (at least): one for the 250 Monza; two versions for the SCRs; and one for the Mark 3s.

I'm told that the SCR version(s) are likely to be too long. So a couple of questions:
1. Can anyone confirm this? (It seems strange that a 19" front wheel would make THAT much difference. Or maybe I'm missing something?)
2. Can someone please tell me the length of the Mark 3 version, measuring from the centre of the pivot to the end of the leg?

TIA.

Craig

LaceyDucati

Re: Help with fitting a sidestand to a widecase

Postby LaceyDucati » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi Craig

I've both Mark 3 and SCR stands, so I will have a look tomorrow for you. I would just get whatever you can, as these things are getting rare. Any length issues can be sorted with a good welder :)

Regards Nigel

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Hello Craig

Scrambler (1974) stand is 325mm from ground to the pivot on the engine bracket. Not the bracket is longer than at Vento or Desmo.

Can I suggest you look for a side stand from an RT as they are a much better cleaner design.

I'm at work and the RT is at home. I can get measurements tonight and a better picture of the RT stand if you need.

Regards
Graeme

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks guys.

@ Nigel:
Cheers. From what I've seen, I suspect a new one is going to be beyond my means; but yes - do please let me know ...
P.s And see my reply to Graeme below.

@ Graeme:
Yes, my SCR is the same - 325. But you say it’s the BRACKET, not the leg, that’s different, SCR vs Mark3/Desmo? Ah! Now that I had not appreciated … Have you got any dimensions, or other ways of telling them apart?

Yes, agree - the RT stand does look better conceived. But they’ve gotta be rare as rocking horse ****, surely? More pictures would be appreciated … How do they mount, for example?

(It's looks like a pretty standard design of sidestand. I wonder whether it might be possible to use one from something else?)

Craig

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:45 am

Craig

Checked the stand on my 450 scrambler and it is 325mm as Graeme's 450. Though I have now discovered the stand with my 450 mark 3 desmo restoration project is a Narrowcase one :evil: However I can tell you that the stand leg on the two narrowcase stands I have are around 275mm. The mounting bracket for the narrowcase stand is obviously different but the leg does look like it would fit on the widecase bracket. You could always consider cutting the narrowcase stand bracket and welding it onto a suitable fabricated plate for a widecase. I only mention this as narrowcase stands seem far more plentiful than widecase ones.

Failing that, it's a stand from a 70's Japanese bike for a few quid and a bit of sturdy plate fabrication. The stand would be better placed mid bike and perhaps more attractive :) Who knows you could perhaps saw a section out of a Honda CX 500 frame and use that and help rid the world of another unnecessary nasty Cafe racer project :lol:

Regards Nigel

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 am

There's one on ebay at present, in Australia.
Item 171234105559

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Useful, Nigel - ta. It helps that you've confirmed that the leg on the n/c stand is shorter than the w/c.

I've also had an e-mail from Jon Pegler saying that he's successfully put a 325mm w/c stand on his Vento (altho', like you, he tells me he started off with a n/c leg!). So, armed with that info, I shall put to the back of my mind the question, "Why is the Ducati part no. for the Mark 3/Desmo different from the SCR one?" :? ... and see what I can find. Will still be interested to hear what Graeme says about the brackets, mind.

And I've still the the prospect of making something useful out of a Plastic Maggot :) . Excellent!

Ciao

Craig

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:13 pm

Jordan wrote:There's one on ebay at present, in Australia.
Item 171234105559

Ta Jordan. Trouble is, the shipping at $75.90 risks making it too expensive :(.

(You see, I really only want one to avoid having to haul the bike on to the centre stand every time I have to move it around a little - in the workshop, for example. Just being lazy ... ;) )

graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Craig, sorry I misled you with my rushed poorly worded statement about the brackets being different. I meant the scrambler front engine mount has the heavy abomination welded to it for the side stand compared to a Desmo front engine bracket.
I should have known that you have a scrambler and already know this,,,,,
RT stand pictures to follow,,,,,

Graeme

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 pm

i looked at the sidestands i had laying around . 3 differend lenghts stands . i will measure ASAP and post

Eldert

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”