SPARK PLUG

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

pear0

SPARK PLUG

Postby pear0 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm

I have installed a Powerdynamo on my 250 unmodified engine. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for what plug to use with the setup. Thanks, TomA

JimF
Site Admin

Re: SPARK PLUG

Postby JimF » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 am

I put the NGK Iridium plugs in all my bikes with good results (some with points and some with electronic ignition systems), but I don't have any insight with regards to the Powerdynamo ignition system.

Maybe you can get some recommendations off their website knowledge base or by sending them an email.

Jim

LaceyDucati

Re: SPARK PLUG

Postby LaceyDucati » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi

If the bike is standard then just use the standard plug as that will be the correct grade. Most standard singles will run fine on a NGK B7HS. The Standard Marelli plug grade is CW260N, which cross references to B7HS, but NGK qoutes B6HS for a Ducati single. I would generally go for the Coldest plug the bike will start easily and not foul (in NGK 6 is hotter and 7 is colder). As far as I can remember the MZB system uses a non resistor plug cap so you could use a resistor plug like the iridium plugs (NGK BR7HIX). However most of the advantages of these plugs are in high mileage life (tens of thousands of miles), which does not apply to most Ducati singles. Personally on a road bike I would just use standard plugs and replace them every 5000 miles or so, they are much cheaper and perform the same.

I would avoid using resistor plugs when running a resistor plug cap, especially with an original ignition system. Otherwise you will be deteriorating the available spark. I'm no expert on this matter, only stating what I have read and been told. Unfortunately many non resistor plugs are being deleted from all manufactures lists. I suppose the answer is, when using a resistor plug is to just use a non resistor plug cap.

Hope this helps

Nigel

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”