Rear swing-arm removal 66 monza

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

single-junk

Rear swing-arm removal 66 monza

Postby single-junk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm in the process of stripping down my monza frame for paint prep.. gotten stuck at the swing arm.

I've removed all the bolts, penetrating oiled the crap out of it and got the swing arm moving very freely, but can't for the life of me get the pin to budge..
I can't see how there'd be any special trick to this, but you never know till you ask.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Rear swing-arm removal 66 monza

Postby JimF » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:07 pm

I recall that I sawed a handle off a broom that was larger in diameter than the hole going through the pivot pin and smaller than the hole in the frame. Using the broom handle which eventually wedges into the pivot pin hole I hammered on the broom handle to push the pin out.

Sure the wood splinters, but if it becomes useless you can get the splintered handle out of the pin,saw another foot off the broom handle and keep on going.

Later when you wife/GF asks if you have seen the broom be ready to sheepishly say "no."

The wood could not possibly hurt or mushroom the pin, and any slip didn't hurt the paint either (although I repainted the frame so I was saving the paint for no reason.)

The splinters of wood clean up easily too.

I was flying pretty blindly in those days and had no one to ask.

I have since invested in a brass drift for metal "persuasion" and perhaps that would have been the better thing to use on the swing-arm pin if I had it back then.

The theory is that the brass is softer than the steel and thus would take the force of the hammer and not mar the swing-arm pin.

I do recall borrowing a dead-blow hammer for some reason back then but I don't recall if I was using that in association with the swing-arm pin removal or not.

Jim

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Type
Swing arm pivot tube
In the search engine of this forum ( upper right corner of page)

Bruce

SP3

Postby SP3 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I did the same as Jim - broom handle. I soaked it daily for a couple weeks with PBlaster and still had to beat the thing to death with a 2lb sledge. Used the entire handle. In the end, I ended up replacing the pin (from Syd's) as the old one was severely pitted from rust. If I ever do another, I'll use an aluminum drift.
1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Monster 900
1999 Monster 750
1998 ST2
1967 Benelli 250 (MW Riverside)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”