19" front rim on 250 NC?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

pptom

19" front rim on 250 NC?

Postby pptom » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:16 am

I kind of know the answer to this, but since money is now running tight, i need to look at saving a few pennies.
I'm building a NC 250 'road racer' - a part time road bike that i can also use on track. I've sunk a fair bit into engine work, done some frame strengthening mods etc etc.
I have in my posession an as new 19" WM2 front Borrani rim, all laced up to a polished hub with new SS spokes and new nipples, its ready to fit. My intention was to fit an 18" rim in its place with either new spokes or to try and get the existing ones shortened, don't mind the wheel building myself, but i'd rather not spend £150+ on parts if i don't really have to, since i also have to buy a new rear rim + spokes, carb, tacho, tyres etc.
I've recently read that some 250's (mk3's?, road bikes not scramblers) were supplied with 19" fronts, my real question is how will the 19 affect handling, will it be a real disadvantage on track + is it something i can live with for a season until I can swap it for a 18"?
Tom

Rick

Re: 19" front rim on 250 NC?

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Tom,
The best reason to go for an 18" is probably tire choice- there will be some gyroscopic effect difference in the 2 sizes and the trail will change a little, but you'd have to be a very sensitive rider to notice. If you can find tires you like for the 19" wheel you'll be fine.
Rick

pptom

Postby pptom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks rick, think I'll stick with the 19 for this year then, don't think it will be near a track in anger until next year.

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Tom

Wouldn't get too concerned about the rim size, Avon race tyres are available in 90/90-19. What suits one person, does'nt another, just see how it feels. On the road I used to run rings around sports bikes on a Kawasaki KLR600 trail bike some 25 years ago and that had a 21" tyre!

Regards Nigel

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”