Mk3 fork questions

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Mk3 fork questions

Postby JimF » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

I don't want to take this thread off-topic so I put this question out and hope that it does not send the main topic over a cliff. If it does I will move it to its own topic.

I'll never know everything I need or want to know about Ducati singles, and I am down to owning a pair of narrow case singles though I had a wide case Desmo several years ago.

I know that the Mach 1 front fenders are hard to find and high-priced. I have a Mach 1 with the correct fender but spares are impossible to come by.

Since the same 31.5mm forks are used between narrow case and early wide case models, I would have expected that the same front fenders from any narrow case would be the same front fenders used on a wide case until the late models with larger fork tubes came out.

What attribute makes a front fender for the 31.5mm forks a "wide case" fender? I can't recall, where they chromed fenders? were they squared off? Was it the way they were bracketed?

Thanks.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Jim I only know what I've seen by looking at pictures of widecase mk3's
And the parts book. The fenders for a widecase mk3 are specific to that bike
and I don't think they were ever used on another model. They are not exactly like
Any other Ducati fender I know of. If someone out there knows differently I'd love to
know because I am looking for a set of fenders. If you look at the picture of the fender
You can see the shape of the front bracket , that is what I based my
Statement on. As far as I know they came both painted and chromed
Like the coffin tanks also did.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 pm

The long Diana MkIII (not the scrambler fender used on some versions) and Mk3 front fenders are unique. I believe this same fender is installed on the Mach 1 as well. This fender is quite narrow since the front tire on these models was 2.50/18. Also, the leading edge of the fender is rolled under. The alleged W/C fender in question is flared outward on the leading and trailing edge which I always recognized as typical of early W/C road models. Brochures of various W/C models appear to have both flared and straight leading/trailing edges. So the fender is consistent with a W/C chassis of the period this example was produced. The frame modification is scary but could be put right with some careful surgery. I’ve seen frames in much worse condition. Adding the 450 type frame brace (available as a kit) would add to the integrity of such a repair.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 pm

The frame is for a "widecase" type engine, made from 1968. Earlier is called "narrowcase".
They must match the type of engine.
Widecase = long sump
Narrowcase = short sump
The forks can be for either early widecase or narrowcase. They are the same, but later widecase had bigger 35mm forks.
To discover the year the forks were made, look at the number stamped on the inside of the brake anti-torque lug.
The modified frame looks "easy" to return to standard.
Regarding price - some people are now asking very very high prices for our little bikes. Good news or bad?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 pm

The bracket to the fork leg is different between the wide and narrowcase mudguards. If it helps, I can take some pictures of my mudguards which I know to be early widecase and some Italian replica narrowcase mudguards I have. As has been said those early widecase mudguards are rare as rare, as are the clipon headlamp brackets and the top yoke.

The price is probably about the norm these days. Much as we all hold out for bargains, nowadays think yourselves lucky if you can even find parts like these! The frame has been in the wars and is not ideal , but it is fixable and cheap with the other parts if you or someone you know is doing the repairs. In the UK and probably elsewhere, Widecase frames are near impossible to buy in good unmolested condition. In the UK £300 would be good for one (that's about $500). Mostly what you see for sale is chopped about ex race frames, which are probably bent! Anyone who thinks I'm way out on price and wants to sell me any widecase frames for £100 - £150, give me a shout, it'll be just like the good old days! :-)

Ideally if you were buying parts like these it's better if you can see them in the flesh to better judge the condition. But sometimes you've just got to stick your neck out! Sadly original parts aren't going to get either more available or cheaper as time goes on :(

Nigel

yoper1987

Postby yoper1987 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 am

Thanks to all huge)))
You really help out me)))
I while decided not to take this frame.... I will sit.... I will wait))

By the way if to someone fender is necessary I can learn for how many separately the man will sell

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”