Steering Damper Fibre Washers

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Steering Damper Fibre Washers

Postby graeme » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:17 am

I bought replacement fibre washers for the steering damper on a wc scrambler from scrambler club.
When it rains they seem to swell and tighten up the steering. Anyone else had this happen?
I've never had it happen on any other bike before with the same system, but I've never had to replace the original fibre washer either.
After they dry out they return to the normal friction. The first time it happened I thought I had a flat tyre.

graeme

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Steering Damper Fibre Washers

Postby JimF » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:34 am

Hi Graeme

Can you submerge the fibre washers in grease or oil so they saturate? Then water could not penetrate the fibers of the material.

If that would adversely affect the friction perhaps valve lapping compound would prevent water intrusion yet still offer some friction.

Do you really use the damper? I've never liked having any resistance in the steering head.

Jim

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:23 am

I don't use them tight either, but just tight enough to stop any rattle.
No big deal, just that the original ones have never swelled.
Jim, soaking them in oil sounds like a good idea, thanks.

Regards
Graeme

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Graeme

Another case of "it looks the same" here! The original material is very hard and dense and is almost certainly not "normal" red fibre as used for sealing washers. I would think Tufnol would make a possible substitute for the original material, I have heard of people using two pieces of formica glued shiny sides together! Grease can prevent the surfaces fretting.

I too like a little light damping to keep any wriggles at bay. Never used to use a damper on my race bike, until I raced at Aberdare park. Aberdare park is as it says a park, a normal park in a Welsh town complete with bandstand and boating lake! Bumpy is not the word and finding myself in a tank slapper heading for the bushes and roses, changed my mind about steering dampers

Regards NIgel

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”