Frame ID Plate

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Cam3512

Frame ID Plate

Postby Cam3512 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Anyone out there have a stamp kit and willing to stamp a new ID tag with my bike's numbers? I'm doing a restoration, and don't really want to invest in the stamp kit for one-time use. Is there a vintage Ducati business that does this?

Cam

Eldert

Re: Frame ID Plate

Postby Eldert » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:20 pm

if you do a 100% restoration the foil tag should be done on a IBM Selectric typewriter .

that how the original tag was done . i dont know what fond was used

Regards Eldert

Cam3512

Postby Cam3512 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Not a 100% correct restoration.

DucRedux

Postby DucRedux » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Can't get much less expensive than this: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... =stamp+kit

The foil tag on my 450 MK3 curled, split and pulled off sometime after 1974, but I kept it. Some day, during the next restoration, I may apply a replica with the above stamp kit but it is a low priority item.
I just checked on Selectric typewriters and IBM introduced them in 1961, so they were in use during the era.

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Ooops , sorry , missed that Eldert didn't know which font.

You'll still find the occasional Selectrics out there for foil , etc. where a heavy strike is necessary.
I repaired them up to around 1990.

DucRedux

Postby DucRedux » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Piling on the minutiae, I took to measuring the type on my loose ID tag and the height of the characters is I/8 inch (0.125 in or 3.2 mm).
This website was very helpful in locating the font: http://www.selectric.org/selectric/

The best match for the type font is "Delegate", probably 12 point. The example of which is found not in the Selectric balls mentioned, but in the manual referenced for alternate suppliers. Several types are very similar and one can go blurry-eyed looking for differences in the characters, such as open or closed "4s" , with or without a base. Seems to me that Berliner Motor's secretaries probably shared typing duties. Was more than one typewriter used -who knows ?

If other forum members can check their ID foils against the above guide, maybe we can take some of the guesswork out of making replicas. My tag is from 1974, what is the type from earlier years?

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi,

I acquired a 1965/6 Mach 1 from the USA many moons ago, for some reason this bike had both the frame idents behind the battery down tube and the foil tag behind the headlight on the steering race.

I've restored the bike but in doing so did not reattach the original foil.

Somewhere! I still have this foil, if I can find it I will if you wish attach a picture of it so you can have an idea of what I have. Let me know

PM me if you wish.

Cheers

Bob-England

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi again,

Cant find the foil at this time-pic attached from ages ago-not the best quality

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Found it!

The eagle eyed will notice that where this foil came from a Mach 1, M3 is typed in, dont ask me why?

Pic of finished bike-ish,downtube ident and engine number from the bike which originally had this foil.

Hope this helps

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”