Workshop Manual Oil Capacity seems WRONG?!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

thatnameisal

Workshop Manual Oil Capacity seems WRONG?!

Postby thatnameisal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:21 am

Hi gang:

Shop manual lists the capacity for my 160cc Junior as 2.1liters/2.25Quarts. I can barely get ONE liter into the sump from the filler plug (in the front next to the side-stand) - and that is with the bike on the center stand and someone leaning on the rear wheel tilting the whole bike back.

The Jr filler plug does not have a dipstick. Regardless - with the oil filled to the threads of the filler plug, it is only 1liter.

I guess I could fit 2.1 liters in if I sealed the filler plug first and filled it from the clutch center nut adjustment door...but that seems wrong.

Is this a misprint?

Nick

Re: Workshop Manual Oil Capacity seems WRONG?!

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:31 am

I've noticed that on more than a few old Duc's someone has removed the 'standpipe' (or filler pipe) from the sump and simply used another Ducati screw-cap to seal off the sump. That might explain why yours is lacking the dipstick. That would also explain why you're having trouble adding the proper amount of oil.

The solution is as you suspect: after completely draining the engine, fill it through the clutch inspection plate or through the breather hole.
Put a Mikuni on it!

thatnameisal

Postby thatnameisal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 am

I thought about that as some of 250s have it, but according to the Spare Parts Catalog there is no elongated tube

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:27 am

Are you filling the motor for the first time after a rebuild?
If not did you get the motor warmed up before changing the oil?
Also making sure to tilt the bike over while draining the oil.
If not you likely left a lot of oil in the motor and some nasty sludge.
If your motor won't take close to the amount of oil that is specified then
You probably didn't get all the oil out to begin with.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

thatnameisal

Postby thatnameisal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:26 am

First fill after rebuild. It only took 1 liter

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm

I guess you are going to have to wait for someone who owns a Monza JR. to chime in. I looked in the Monza JR. owners manual and my other manuals
they all list the same quanity. the Monza Jr book shows pictures of a motor without a dipstick and filler tube, but then clearly shows it with one where it
states how to fill and check oil level. thats in a book that only covers a Monza Jr.

there is an old post i read some time ago about oil levels on here. I think it was Nigel Lacey that said that Ducati recomended higher then necessary
oil levels across the board for all the singles, and that they use slightely less oil in their racebikes. nothing close to what you have though.

from my experience with a 250 and 450 there is no way i could fill the motors with the specified oil amount WITHOUT an oil filler tube
as the oil level ends up being above where the tube screws into the case. but if i pour slowly there is no need to tilt the bike over to get it filled up.
and when the specified oil amount has been poured in it is right at the upper mark on the dipstick.
if a Monza JR is not supposed to have an oil fill tube, I don't see why that would be, and if I had a monza jr i would use one regardless of what the book says
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:48 am

I can just get two quarts into my 250NC when changing oil. I do have the short extension tube between the cap and the case.
See attached.

Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:03 am

Hi,
I don't have personal experience of running a 160 but I have checked the 160 handbook as well as the manual and the 2.1 litres is what is specified but if you look on page 20 as attached you will note that the book actually states that using the oil filler neck and dipstick will allow oil level measurement. So that begs the question why they didn't fit one in the first place as it clearly shows that there isn't one fitted in the parts book!

My suggestion is that you get hold of a filler neck and dipstick as this will make life a heck of a lot easier. If you then fill the engine up to the top mark on the dipstick (As the handbook states, that is with just the dipstick held against the edge rather than screwed in) I expect you will get a lot more oil in. Generally speaking I check the oil on level ground with both wheels on the ground as with the bike on the stand all sorts of things like tyre sizes etc can cause the bike to be leaning more forward, reducing the ability to get oil in. Usual thing is to rest the bike on a stand on the right hand footpeg leaning away from you and just pull the bike towards you to upright when checking the level. Personally I think 2.1 litres is going to be a lot of oil as we only run 1.875 litres in our 250/350 narrowcase race bikes. So if you have 1.8 litres or more in there I would not be too concerned. 1 litre is not enough and is incorrect. One other thing that is laughable in the book is that it describes the oil capacity as "about 2.1 litres!"

The other thing is to remember once you start the engine an element of oil will become trapped in the cylinder head and you may have to top up the oil slightly to reach the correct position on the dipstick after first start up. Personally again, I tend not to bother with the dipstick itself and judge the oil level by looking down the hole of the neck and observing the oil level relative to the step in the neck. For our race bikes with 1.875 litres, this is just below the step.

I would be interested to know how much oil you manage to get in with the neck and the bike on level ground relative to the step or dipstick.
Nigel

page 18.jpeg

page 20.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thatnameisal

Postby thatnameisal » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm

Thank you to all who took the time to chime-in.

I am not going to delay getting the bike on the road to order a neck and dipstick cap for a good chunk of change. If I run across a used set, I will probably buy them, but looking at the location of the sidestand/motormount I am dubious as to whether or not I can even fit a neck in there...we will see.

I think I am going to button it up and fill it from the clutch rod adjusting window with 1.8 per Nigel's suggestion and do a break-in lap and see how it goes.

Again, thanks for all of your input.

Mark

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”