450 SCR Front Wheel Bearings

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

450 SCR Front Wheel Bearings

Postby graeme » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:43 am

Hello,
I replaced the front wheel bearings in my 450 Scrambler.
The old ones were open 6202 and I replaced them with sealed 6202 bearings.
Question is that the brake plate and the speedo drive plate sit in closer than I thought they should. Like there should be a wider bearing to keep the fixed brake and speedo plates flush with the wheel hub.
(it was the same with the open bearings)
But looking at an RT front wheel the fixed brake plate is flush with the wheel hub.
It works ok without any clearance issues but it doesn't look right.

Graeme

edit, I must say that this bike has had a very hard life (perhaps in a Circus) and there are many parts that have been bodged.

Ventodue

Re: 450 SCR Front Wheel Bearings

Postby Ventodue » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 am

graeme wrote:It works ok without any clearance issues but it doesn't look right.

Hi Graeme,

Know what you mean ;) , but I don't think it's that uncommon. My 1972 450 SCR is the same, on the speedo side. And two of the bikes, the 1972 250 SCR and the 1969 450 Mark 3, featured in Massimo Clarke's book show it - again, both on the speedo side.

And I'm not sure that the you can't see it too in the photo of the 1968 prototype being pushed by Bruno Spaggiari (with a big smile on his face :) . But this time, on the brake side ...

P.s You can also see it on the 1972 SCR illustrated in Motociclismo's Guida al Restauro ed alla Manutenzione della Ducati Scrambler (speedo side).

P.p.s (You're gonna get bored with me soon ... :? ) Also in the photo of the 1971 450 Mark 3, page 187 of Mick Walker's Singles Restoration (speedo side).

Craig

graeme

Postby graeme » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Thank you Craig,
I appreciate your answers.
Still doesn't look right but if that's how they were that's how it will stay.

Regards
Graeme

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:33 am

Sounds like something a shim washer could put right?
Say, between the bearing and the spacer in the hub?

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:23 am

Yes, but this bike (Duke, sorry Bob) is a dunga and has had a very hard life.
At present it's serving as a ride to work hack until time, space and dollars allow me to restore it.

Here is the left side brake plate, you can see that the brake plate isn't flush with the hub. But more worrying is the piece of weld that has been threaded to mount the brake stay.
This is a '74 and should have a double sided drum. The later forks don't have the lug for the brake plate to be held from spinning. (Also 18" Japanese rims.)

Here is the speedo drive side

Overall

Graeme

But it's a pleasant thing to ride and doesn't need to be kept clean or even washed.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”