I'm Baffled - Some Help Please

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Cam3512

I'm Baffled - Some Help Please

Postby Cam3512 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:58 am

I need to totally break down the steering dampener for my '67 Scrambler, I have a new steering stem nut to replace the original. How in the heck do I get the small nut off under the spring, it's not threaded onto the rod. I can see a microscopic stop ring at the bottom inside of the nut, but how do I get that off?

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Cam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bevel bob

Re: I'm Baffled - Some Help Please

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:27 am

I had problems with mine some time back, and at this point I can't remember !, What I do know is that its most important that the knob is tight to the shaft and not free to turn on it.The knob will undo itself, fly off and be destroyed and much worse,the shaft and friction parts will drop down and can lock the steering to one side .Grass tracking at 50 mph is possible with clip ons, I have done it.Thanks to the bike shop that built my bike,(not).I think you will have to grip the shaft in a vice and unscrew the knob from the shaft, Leave the nut alone .Its also possible that the brass threaded insert set in the knob is a bit tired and unless you are carefull you will need a new (expensive ) knob too.

Cam3512

Re: I'm Baffled - Some Help Please

Postby Cam3512 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:44 am

Bevel bob,

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and the knob spun off. Case closed!

Cam

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”