Anyone have a good 160 Monza bottom end to sell?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

john jupiter

Re: Anyone have a good 160 Monza bottom end to sell?

Postby john jupiter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:38 am

"____ What makes you sure that it needs replacement crankshaft ?"

The connecting rod is frozen up solid. the roller bearings did not do so well when water got into the cases. I suppose they could be pressed out and then new roller bearing pressed in but it would be very costly and quite a procedure.

"____ I do indeed like the 125-Sport (lots-more than the Monza-Jr)"

I bet you dooo.... :)

thanks, I will keep checking on ebay, shipping on that one would have been very costly and some of the parts I need were broken while it also came with a top end that I did not need. I missed complete, full cases to a 160 two weeks ago that sold for $57 dollars..
1970 450 Jupiter

DewCatTea-Bob

Good-deal on 160Monza-motor Passed-up on !

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:30 pm

[quote= john jupiter ...
" I will keep checking on ebay, "

____ I believe 'eBid' ought-to be a BETTER auction-w.site because their sellers don't have-to keep relisting their unsold auction-items, (as the listed-items STAY/remain listed there, until finally sold).
__ I told the seller (if he had any Duke-singles), that he could join-up HERE and list his Duke-parts for free.

" shipping on that one would have been very costly "

____ If I had chosen to sell my 160 bottom-end, it wouldn't have been for less than 150-bucks, and shipping would've been within 30-bucks of the near one-hundred that that whole 160-motor on eBay was listed to ship for. _ So that 160-deal was one you should-not have passed-up on !
__ The seller has since relisted that same motor. _ Better get it before someone-else bids on it !
As you could then possibly swap your 125-motor's '125' cam.cover for that 160-cyl.head's 160-cover, and then end-up with the equivalent of a 'bored-out' 125-engine for your 125-Sport. _ And then keeping your 125-motor for rather future perfect-restoration.

"and some of the parts I need were broken "

____ To get quite-near perfectly-good use out of it's broken clutch-basket, you can simply bust-off the leaf-finger that's 180-degrees opposite of the one that's already broken-off. and the clutch will STILL work just as well.
__ Or also, I believe I happen to have a NOS.160 clutch-basket/matched primary gear-set, as well.

" while it also came with a top end that I did not need. "

____ If you prefer the lesser torque of a 125, then you could sell/trade most-all of that 160-engine's top-end parts separately, and AT-LEAST recoup your excess shipping-cost outlay !

" I missed complete, full cases to a 160 two weeks ago that sold for $57 dollars.. "

____ Because you didn't compete in that auction, the winning-bidder got a GOOD-deal ! _ However if you had submitted a SUCCESSFUL snipe-bid (over 200-bucks), you then might have learned that the winning-bidder had actually bid 100 or 150 or even 200 on that auction.
(Whoever the winning-bidder was on that-auction, he ought-to be a member here !)

____ Let us know what your latest-thoughts are now.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 am

Bob,
Thanks for the suggestions. Im not here to debate ebay auctions for unknown, not running engines.
I posted here on the forum because we are all enthusiasts and I would not have a problem paying a premium to someone on here that told me that the parts i was getting were "inspected and good" rather than guess what ebayers are not telling in thier ads.

My intention is to have a stock specification 125. I'm not going ride it much but when i do i like it to be stock. Just a preference. Plus, what the 125 lacks in displacment, maybe it makes up for with higher compression. we are talking about slow or slower. it is just my preference to rebuild it to stock.

Thanks for thinking about helping me out with the parts you have.

-John
1970 450 Jupiter

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48 am

[quote= john jupiter ...
" I posted here on the forum because we are all enthusiasts and I would not have a problem paying a premium to someone on here that told me that the parts i was getting were "inspected and good" rather than guess what ebayers are not telling in thier ads. "

____ That's certainly good reasoning ! _ (However a possible project-buster, [as such preference is more likely to never occur].)

" what the 125 lacks in displacment, maybe it makes up for with higher compression. "

____ Not very likely... I had a 200SS with high-compression piston (& 25mm.SSI), and a 4-speed 250-Monza (which I sold to a friend who weighed about a 100-pounds more than myself), which had it's stock 8 to 1 piston (& 24mm.carb),, yet he & the Monza pulled-away from me & the 200 at a slow-walking pace !
And that's just one example for proving that there's nothing close to 'displacement' for producing engine-power.

" it is just my preference to rebuild it to stock. "

____ To each his own. _ But I had made my suggestion as a TEMP.project- solution.
__ If it turned-out that you weren't satisfied with that entire 160-motor, you could then likely always part-it-out for a profit. _ (It's by that process which many project-builders support their project-building efforts.)
Are you otherwise very-close at all to finding any preferred-option for yourself ? _ If I were in your place, I'd not pass-up on my first opportunity to quite-possibly satisfy my (serious) goal !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:16 pm

John,
A Monza Jr. crank was just listed on Ebay. start bid of 59.99
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:56 am

Thanks for the heads up! You are a good guy! I am also looking for a jod duplo headlight, if anyone knows of a source for excellent condition or NOS parts.
1970 450 Jupiter

thatnameisal

Postby thatnameisal » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:21 pm

dont know if you found one yet or not, but here is something that might work for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151221249925

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 am

i dont know who is in need of 160 Monza Junior parts but the bikeboneyard.com is parting out a 160 engine

not real cheap tho .

Eldert

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”