Mike Mc carbon fuel tank

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

john jupiter

Mike Mc carbon fuel tank

Postby john jupiter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Mike,
That tank of yours is something else! How did you sculpt the design? Was it layed over a foam core?
Any thoughts on carbon fiber frames? I have an engine that i would love to build a frame for.. Its either modify a steel one to fit it or build a custom one. Ive heard carbon fiber does not hold up to shock too well so not suitable for a frame. Any thoughts?

John
1970 450 Jupiter

Scrambler

Re: Mike Mc carbon fuel tank

Postby Scrambler » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks, yes I started with a block of foam and cut and shaped until I got what I liked. Laid one layer of CF on the outside then removed the core and built up 3 layers from the inside. That way my shape stayed true and the "seams" are on the bottom surface which is painted. Also allows you to put the filler neck and petcock fittings in from the inside to keep that clean as well. I doubt that an individual could make a Carbon frame unless they worked at an Aero Space company. My tank is obviously not stressed in anyway. Fabbing a steel frame is not very difficult especially if you look through the threads on the Sealy frame on this site.

Thanks

Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Super nice. You are probably right. There is a place on the web called dragonplate. They have a lot of preformed carbon tubing etc. dont think it would work though.

I will probably order some sheet carbon and try to copy a 125 sport tank. Should keep me busy a lot longer than i think.
What type of foam did you use? And how did you remove the foam after the layer of carbon was applied?
1970 450 Jupiter

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 am

It is craft foam that you would use for flower arrangements. I cut out a circular ( basically the whole bottom ) area on the bottom surface of the tank. A little hacksaw blade and cutting and you can remove the foam plug. You just have to wire brush all the remaining bits and pieces out and get really clean so you do not have a bad layer. Once built up you can bevel the edge and reglass back together once you have your filler neck and petcock pieces in place. I have done 4 tanks this way and if you take your time they hold up really well. The CF used is not a rigid matt rather soft like regular fiberglass and comes on a roll. The place I get it has a dozen different weights and patterns if you are going to leave it exposed.

Mike Mc

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:06 am

Nice looking Tank.

I've made a couple solo seats the same way,,, electric knife works really good at carving the foam nice clean cut, just clean it before you carve the turkey... :D

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”